Squarespace doesn’t host your videos directly. To add a video to your site, you’ll need to upload it to a supported host (like YouTube or Vimeo) and then embed it. This guide reviews two embed options and reasons why you might use them.
Note: Visit Adding videos to your site for links to step-by-step instructions for the different places you can add videos.
Use a video URL
If you don't need advanced display options like autoplay and are uploading from YouTube, Vimeo, Animoto, or Wistia, you can copy and paste the video's URL into areas like Video Blocks and backgrounds. This is the most straightforward way to add videos to Squarespace.
To get started:
- Copy the video's URL, which you can find in the browser address bar when you're on the host's page.
- In Squarespace, paste the URL into the Video URL field.
- Add a thumbnail, title, and description for more customization, and then click Save.
Use an embed code
For more advanced video options, you'll copy and paste an embed code from your video host. Using an embed code is the best option for:
- Using advanced display settings your video host provides.
- Enabling autoplay.
- Embedding videos from hosts other than YouTube, Vimeo, Animoto, and Wistia.
Tip: The default embed option for Wistia won't work with our built-in video embed options. We recommend using the video URL instead.
Note: Your video host must use the oEmbed standard to work with blocks and pages. If your host doesn't use the oEmbed standard, we recommend uploading it to a service that does support it. Otherwise, paste the code into a Code Block. Custom code like this falls outside of the scope of Squarespace support.
To use an embed code:
- In your video host, make any customizations to your video, and then copy its embed code. The steps to find the code varies by hosting service. If you can't find the code, contact your hosting service.
Here's an example of YouTube's embed code:
- When uploading to a Video Block, Gallery Block, Gallery Page, or Cover Page, click the </> icon in the Video URL field.
- Paste the embed code in the pop-up window.
- Click Set.
- The pop-up will close. Under the URL field, you'll see the message "Embed data has been manually set." This confirms we recognize the embed code.
- Add a thumbnail, title, and description for more customization.
- Click Save.