Note: While our most popular guides have been translated into Spanish, some guides are only available in English.

US sales tax and Squarespace billing

Depending on your billing address, we might collect sales tax for your Squarespace subscriptions. This guide explains our United States sales tax policies, how to apply for an exemption, and answers to some common questions.

Tip: For residents of the European Union, visit VAT and Squarespace billing. For residents of Australia, visit GST and Squarespace billing.

Before you begin

  • For help setting tax rules for your online store, visit Setting up taxes in Squarespace Commerce
  • Per our Terms of Service, Squarespace doesn't provide advice or recommendations regarding laws applicable to your site or business. If you have questions about collecting taxes, you can consult with a tax advisor.

US sales tax and Squarespace pricing

Squarespace collects sales tax in areas where we're legally required to do so. We apply taxes to applicable subscriptions for residents of the following cities and states:

  • Arizona
  • Chicago, Illinois
  • Connecticut
  • Denver, Colorado
  • Hawaii
  • Iowa
  • Massachusetts
  • New Mexico
  • New York State
  • Ohio
  • Pennsylvania
  • Rhode Island
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Washington, D.C.
  • Washington State
  • West Virginia

Your tax location is determined by the billing address entered with your credit card information. Please ensure your billing information is correct.

If you have more questions about taxes, we suggest speaking with a tax advisor.

Submit an exemption request

If your business is exempt from US sales tax and your site is active on a billing plan, submit an exemption request here. You'll need to attach the appropriate sales tax exemption forms for your location and business.

Find these documents on your city or state's tax authority website: 

After our billing specialists review your information, we’ll respond about your exemption status. We can’t apply tax exemptions to trial or expired sites.

If you change your billing information in the future, you’ll need to submit another exemption request.


I received an email about US sales tax, but I don’t think it applies to me. What should I do?

We determine your location for tax collection based on your billing address. If you received an email about US sales tax but believe this doesn't apply to you, update your billing address using these steps, then submit an exemption request if necessary.

Will you collect US sales tax for past subscription payments?

We aren't retroactively collecting US sales tax for past invoices.

Was this article helpful?
21 out of 84 found this helpful
US sales tax and Squarespace billing