Squarespace Domains renew automatically every year. If we're unable to charge your credit card for a renewal after multiple attempts, your domain will expire. You'll have 30 days from the expiration date to reactivate your domain.
Follow this guide to update your Billing settings and reactivate your domain. To learn about domain renewals and how to prevent a domain from expiring, visit Squarespace Domain renewals and expiration.
If the domain expired more than 30 days ago, we're required to release it back to the registrar (Tucows). You can contact Tucows to reactivate the domain.
Identify an expired domain
You'll know your domain expired when:
- The website can't be found through that domain name
- We send you an email notification about the expiration
- You see an expiration notification under the domain in the Domains panel
Unless you intentionally chose to not renew, domains typically expire when there's an issue with your credit card.
Reactivate an expired domain
To reactivate the domain:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, then click Domains. You can also press the ? key while any panel is open and search domains.
- Click the expired domain.
- Click Renew Domain.
- Review the renewal and payment information that appears.
- Optional: To use a different card for this payment, click Payment Information, and update your card information.
- Click Renew Domain to reactivate the domain.
After reactivating, it may take up to 72 hours for your domain to reactivate and direct to your site.
Note: All payments for Squarespace subscriptions are charged to the same card on file. It’s not possible to use a separate billing method for your domain.
Domain renewals and billing cycles
You'll stay on the same domain billing cycle
Reactivating your domain won't affect its billing cycle. It will continue to renew at the original renewal date. Check the renewal date of your domain in the Domains tab of your Account Dashboard.
Stay on an annual plan to keep a free domain
If you’re using a free Squarespace domain, your site must remain on an annual billing plan. If you switch to a monthly plan, you'll see a message asking you to either keep your domain for $20 annually or cancel the domain completely.
If you have a legacy domain, your site must stay active and on an annual billing plan to keep the domain active.