Learn about the function and organization of the version 7.0 templates.
Squarespace's templates help you create a cohesive look and structure for your website. Every Squarespace trial starts by selecting a template, which you can change at any time. All templates have built-in responsive designs so your site scales to fit different devices and screen sizes.
This guide is for version 7.0. All version 7.1 sites share the same template.
Working with templates
Templates create structure for your design.
- Visit Understanding Squarespace templates to learn how our templates work.
- Explore what different templates offer to choose the right template.
- Learn about switching templates to see how your content looks with other designs. Switching templates FAQ answers common questions about this process.
- Every template family has its own style options and may offer different features, like banner images or sidebars.
- Learn what template you're using.
The Site styles panel lets you adjust tweaks—settings that control fonts, colors, spacing, and other options. The tweaks vary between templates. Along with adding content, the Site styles panel is a key tool for personalizing your site.
- Make style changes to customize your template's appearance.
- Review FAQ about the Site styles panel.
- Change colors, style navigation menus, and customize buttons.
- Change fonts to select from Squarespace's many built-in options.
- Adjust the style of collection pages like events and store pages.
Each version 7.0 template has its own specialized code, which means the template you choose determines which features you have access to. You can’t mix and match features from different templates.
These features vary between template families:
- Album, blog, events, gallery, and store pages features
- Index page availability and styles
- Per-page footers, headers, and sidebars
- Banner images and background images
- Other features like special banners and parallax scrolling
To learn more, visit our template comparison charts.
Mobile and responsive design
Every Squarespace template is designed for easy navigation on any device, from computers to tablets to smartphones. Some templates also have unique style options for mobile view.
- Learn how your site will appear on mobile device.
- Preview your site's look on mobile as you make changes with device view.
Experienced users can add custom code to make advanced changes to their site. Adding code to your site falls outside of the scope of Squarespace support.
- Learn how custom code works with Squarespace in Adding custom code to your site.
- Most custom features are added using the code block. Some integrations use code injection.
- The CSS editor lets you style your site with CSS.
- If you're an experienced developer, consider the Squarespace Developer Platform for greater control over your site's code structure.
Previewing and playing around with a template is the best way to learn how it works. Support your exploration with our in-depth template guides. Click the links below to learn more about these template families.
- If you're not sure which family your template is in, visit What's my site's version and template?
- For templates not listed below, see our Discontinued templates cheatsheet.
- Squarespace version 7.1 doesn't use templates or style tweaks the same way. For version 7.1, visit Making style changes and Page sections.
Version 7.0 template guides: