You can create a custom checkout form for customers to complete when they place an order.
A custom checkout form is a great way to collect any information from customers on the checkout page, like gift messages, special delivery instructions, or comments. You can also use it to require customers to agree to your Terms of Service.
Note: The custom checkout form is for gathering information for an entire order. To collect information for a single item, like custom engraving or lettering instructions, add a custom product form instead.
Watch a video
Step 1 - Enable the custom checkout form
- In the Home Menu, click Commerce, and then click Checkout.
- Scroll down, and click Additional Fields.
- At the bottom of the panel, check Enable Custom Checkout Form.
- Click Edit Custom Checkout Form to start building the form.
Step 2 - Edit the form
The Edit Custom Checkout Form window has placeholder content to help you get started. As you add and edit fields, a preview populates to the right.
To build the form with your own fields:
- In the Form Name field, replace the placeholder text with the name of your form. For example, Gift Message or Delivery Instructions.
- Click Add Form Field to add a new field. To learn more about the available fields, visit Form fields explained.
- For each field, you can edit the title and add a description or instructions.
- The form requires at least one field. After you add a new field, you can click the trash can icon to remove the placeholder.
- If the field is required to submit the form, check Required.
- Click Done after creating each field.
- Click Edit next to a field to edit its content at any time.
- When you're done creating the custom checkout form, click Save to publish your changes.
How the form appears at checkout
The custom checkout form displays on the checkout page in its own section, below the Shipping field. For digital and service products, it displays below the Email field. The form name displays as the section title. To see how your custom checkout form to your customers, run a test order.
Checkout form ideas
If you want to add a customized experience to checkout but aren't sure where to start, visit these example guides as inspiration:
- Adding gift messages to checkout
- Adding delivery instructions to checkout
- Adding a referral survey to checkout
Reviewing checkout form submissions
Custom checkout form submissions appear in a few places where you can manage your orders.
Form submissions appear above the Charge section of the order summary.
Form submissions also appear in the notification emails you receive for each order.
Export a .csv file
When you export an order to a .csv file, completed forms are included in the file.