If you purchased a Google Domain and want to keep it registered with them, you can connect it to your site by following this guide. After completing these steps, your domain will stay registered with Google, but it will connect to your Squarespace site.
There are two ways to connect a Google Domain:
- Option 1 - If you already have a Squarespace site, start from your Squarespace account.
- Option 2 - If you don't have a site yet, connect from Google Domains.
Tip: We recommend transferring your domain to Squarespace instead of connecting it. Here are some reasons why you might want to transfer your domain:
- You can move all aspects of managing it to your Squarespace account so you won't need to pay for it through a third party.
- Your domain could qualify for one free year of hosting.
- Squarespace can help with any issues with your domain directly.
Before you begin
- Review our requirements for connecting a third-party domain.
- If you're connecting a subdomain, you'll need to adjust your DNS settings manually instead of following this guide. For help, visit Connecting a subdomain to your Squarespace site.
Option 1 - Connect an existing site to Google Domains
If you already have a Squarespace site, start in the Domains panel:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, and then click Domains. You can also press the ? key while any panel is open and search domains.
- Click Use a Domain I Own.
- Enter the full domain name you’re connecting in the Domain Name box, and then click Continue.
- Click Connect From Provider.
Note: If you see a message that says "This domain is already connected to another Squarespace site," check your other Squarespace sites to find where the domain is connected. Then disconnect it from that site.
- Select Google Domains from the drop-down menu.
- Click Connect Domain.
- A pop-up window will appear. Log into your Google Domains account. If you're already logged into Google, select the correct account from the list.
- Click Accept, then OK.
- If all records are entered correctly, your domain will connect to your site within 24 hours. At times, it can take up to 72 hours. Visit the Domains panel at any time to check your progress.
- When the domain is correctly linked, the domain will appear in the Domains panel with a Connected label.
Option 2 - Connect to a new site from Google Domains
If you have a domain but don't have a site yet, connect your domain to a new Squarespace trial from your Google Domains account:
- Follow the steps in their Help Center. Choose Squarespace, then choose Start a new free trial plan to get started.
- Your Google domain will start connecting to your new Squarespace site. This may take up to 30 minutes. In the meantime, you can start building your new site.