If you purchased a Google Domain and want to keep it registered with Google, you can connect it to your site by following this guide. In this process, you'll change a few settings in your Google Domain account. After completing these steps, your domain will stay registered with Google, but it will connect to your Squarespace site. Before you begin, review our requirements for connecting a third-party domain.
Tip: We recommend transferring your domain to Squarespace instead of connecting it. Here are some reasons why you might want to transfer your domain:
- You can move all aspects of managing it to your Squarespace account so you won't need to pay for it through a third party.
- Your domain could qualify for one free year of hosting.
- Squarespace can help with any issues with your domain directly.
Before you begin
- This guide covers connecting a Google Domains domain you already own to a Squarespace site you've already started. If you've just signed up for Google Domains, visit Connecting to Squarespace from Google Domains.
- If you're connecting a subdomain from Google Domains, you'll need to adjust your DNS settings manually rather than following the steps in this guide. Visit Connecting a subdomain to your Squarespace site to see the full process.
Step 1 - Start the connection in Squarespace
To connect your domain, start in the Domains panel:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, and then click Domains. You can also press the ? key while any panel is open and search domains.
- Click Use a Domain I Own.
- Enter the full domain name you’re connecting in the Domain Name box, and then click Continue.
- Click Connect From Provider.
Note: If you see a message that says "This domain is already connected to another Squarespace site," check your other Squarespace sites to find where the domain is connected. Then disconnect it from that site.
- Select Google from the drop-down menu.
- Click Connect Domain.
Step 2 - Approve the Google Domains connection
A pop-up window will appear. Log into your Google Domains account with your Google username and password.
Note: If you're already logged into Google, select the correct Google account from the list.
You'll see a message saying the connection was successful.
Step 3 - Wait and test
If all records are entered correctly, your domain will connect to your site within 24 hours. At times, it can take up to 72 hours. Visit the Domains panel at any time to check your progress.
When the domain is correctly linked, the domain will appear in the Domains panel with a Connected label.