If you purchased a Google Domain and want to keep it registered with them, you can connect it to your site by following this guide. After completing these steps, your domain will stay registered with Google, but it will connect to your Squarespace site. You may also find Google's guide helpful as you work on the connection.
There are two ways to connect a Google Domain:
- Option 1 - If you already have a Squarespace site, start from your Squarespace account.
- Option 2 - If you don't have a site yet, connect from Google Domains.
Tip: If your domain is eligible, we recommend transferring it instead of connecting it. Learn more about the differences between transferring and connecting or get started with a transfer.
Before you begin
- Review our requirements for connecting a third-party domain.
- If you're connecting a subdomain, you'll need to adjust your DNS settings manually instead of following this guide. For help, visit Connecting a subdomain to your Squarespace site.
Option 1 - Connect an existing site to Google Domains
If you already have a Squarespace site, start in the Domains panel:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, then click Domains.
- Click Use a Domain I Own.
- Enter the full domain name you’re connecting in the Enter domain field, then click the arrow.
- Click Connect Domain.
Note: If you see a message that says "This domain is already connected to another Squarespace site," check your other Squarespace sites to find where the domain is connected. After finding the site, disconnect the domain.
- Select Google Domains from the drop-down menu.
- Click Connect Domain.
- A pop-up window will appear. Log into your Google Domains account. If you're already logged into Google, click the correct account from the list.
- Click Yes, connect, then click Go to Squarespace.
- In the box that appears, click Continue.
- If all records are entered correctly, your domain will connect to your site within 72 hours.
- When the domain is correctly linked, the domain will appear in the Domains panel with a Connected label.
Option 2 - Connect to a new site from Google Domains
If you have a domain but don't have a site yet, connect your domain to a new Squarespace trial from your Google Domains account:
- Follow the steps in their Help Center. Choose Squarespace, then choose Start a new free trial plan to get started.
- Your Google domain will start connecting to your new Squarespace site. This may take up to 30 minutes. In the meantime, you can start building your new site.