The Newsletter Block adds a newsletter subscribe option to your site. The footer is a popular place for this block.
You'll need to select a storage option for form submissions. You can connect a new MailChimp list or Google Drive.
Watch a video
Before you begin
- If you're using MailChimp as the storage option, create a new, empty subscriber list in MailChimp before connecting your MailChimp account to the block.
- For more customization, like the ability to add more form fields and send submissions to your email address, you might prefer the Form Block instead.
- If you're using the Newsletter Block to create a subscription mailing list for your blog, follow these steps to connect your blog to MailChimp first.
Step 1 - Add the Newsletter Block
- Open a page or post editor.
- Click an Insert Point or the +.
- Select Newsletter from the menu.
- For more detailed steps, visit Adding blocks.
Step 2 - Set up the Newsletter Block
By default, the Newsletter Block displays one Email Address field. Check Required Name Field to add First and Last Name fields.
Edit the title and description of the block. These will display above the fields and Subscribe button.
Step 3 - Select a storage option
In the Newsletter Block editor, click the Storage tab.
There are two options for storing email addresses: MailChimp and Google Drive. You can use one or both.
To add storage, follow the steps in Managing form and newsletter storage.
Note: Squarespace doesn't store Newsletter Block submissions. All submissions are passed directly to MailChimp or Google Drive, and we're unable to access that data.
The MailChimp integration in Newsletter Blocks is a Premium feature available in the current Website Business plan and higher:
- Available in: Business and Commerce plans
- Available in: Personal plan for websites active before December 1, 2017
- Not available in: Personal plan for websites active after December 1, 2017
- Trial: You can connect to MailChimp during a trial.
To learn more, visit Premium features.
Step 4 - Customize submission messages
Click the Advanced tab to add more customization to the block.
The Submit Button Label controls the button visitors click to submit their form. The default text is Sign Up. To change it, replace the text.
The Post-Submit Message appears after a visitor submits a form. You can personalize this text and style it with the text toolbar.
In the Post-Submit HTML box, you can add code to display along with the Post-Submit message. It's common to use the Post-Submit HTML to redirect visitors to another page after submitting.
Note: Adding Post-Submit HTML is an advanced modification, and we're unable to troubleshoot custom code issues.
Step 5 - Save
Here is an example of how the Newsletter Block appears:
Step 6 - Style the Newsletter Block
You can use the Style Editor to change the appearance of your Newsletter Block. In the Home Menu, click Design, and then click Style Editor.
Scroll down to the Newsletter Block section. Options vary across templates, but you'll see some or all of the following style tweaks:
- Style - Choose from Dark, Light, or Custom
- Background Color
- Heading Color - Available with the Custom style
- Text color - Available with the Custom style
- Button Color
- Button Text Color - Not available when the button style is set to Outline
- Alternate options (for example, Alternate Background Color) - Available in some templates. These tweaks affect Newsletter Blocks outside the main content area, such as footers or page headers, to help them stand out against different background colors.
In the other sections of the Style Editor:
- Use the Heading tweaks (usually Heading 2) to change the title font.
- Use the tweaks in the Buttons section to customize the Submit button's style and shape. To learn more, visit Styling buttons.
The post-submit message isn't appearing.
If you've set the Newsletter Block Style tweak to Light and the background color to white, this places white text over and white background, making text difficult to see. Change either tweak to resolve this issue.