Newsletter Blocks add an option for visitors to subscribe to a newsletter. The footer is a popular place for this block.
Watch a video
Before you begin
- If you're using Email Campaigns as the storage option, ensure you've created a mailing list.
- If you're using Mailchimp as the storage option, create a new, empty audience in Mailchimp before connecting your Mailchimp account to the block.
- To send form submissions to your email address, use a Form Block instead.
Add a Newsletter Block
To add a Newsletter Block:
- Edit a page or post, click an insert point, and click Newsletter from the menu. For help, visit Adding content with blocks.
- Use the Display tab to set up the Newsletter Block.
- Use the Storage tab to choose a storage option.
- Use the Verification tab to set subscriber verification options.
- Use the Post-Submit tab to customize submission messages.
- Click Apply to save your changes.
Here's an example of a Newsletter Block:
Set up the Newsletter Block
Customize the content and layout of the block in the Display tab. By default, the Newsletter Block displays one email address field. You can add or edit these options:
- Form Name - Give your Newsletter Block a name to keep track of its analytics.
- Title and Description - Display title and description text above the form fields and submit button.
- Require Name Field - Add First Name and Last Name fields to the form.
- Submit Button Label - Customize the text that displays on the submit button. The default text is Subscribe.
- Alignment - Align Newsletter Block content Left, Right, or Center.
- Layout - Change the layout of your Newsletter Block to Float Fields in a row or Stack Fields in a column.
Tip: For more form field options, use a Form Block instead.
Choose a storage option
Connect the Newsletter Block to a storage option in the Storage tab.
There are four options for storing email addresses: Squarespace Email Campaigns, Zapier, Mailchimp, and Google Drive.
To learn more about each storage type, visit Managing form and newsletter storage.
The Mailchimp and Zapier integrations in Newsletter Blocks are Premium features available in Business and Commerce plans.
Set subscriber verification options
Set subscriber verification options in the Verification tab:
- Enable Google reCAPTCHA to prompt visitors to check a box to prove that they’re not a robot before they submit. If you've already enabled Google reCAPTCHA elsewhere on your site, check Turn on reCAPTCHA to add it to the form immediately.
- If you're using an Email Campaigns mailing list for storage, Send confirmation email is enabled by default. You can't disable it unless you check Turn on reCAPTCHA first.
- If you're using a Mailchimp audience for storage, uncheck Send confirmation email to let subscribers sign up without confirming via email.
Customize submission messages
Customize what visitors see after they submit their information:
- Add a Post-Submit Redirect to take visitors to another page or a site automatically.
- Add and style a Post-Submit Message. This message won't appear if a post-submit redirect is set up.
- Use the Post-Submit HTML field to add code to display along with the post-submit message.
Note: Adding Post-Submit HTML is an advanced modification, and we're unable to troubleshoot custom code issues.
Style the Newsletter Block
To change the block's appearance:
To style the block's fonts:
- While editing a page, open Site Styles, then click Fonts.
- Under Global Text Styles, click Assign Styles.
- Scroll to the Newsletter Block section and click into each option to style the different fonts.
- Click Back, then click Site Styles to return to Site Styles, or hover over Done and click Save if you're done making style changes.
To style the block's colors:
- While editing a page, open Site Styles, then click Colors.
- Hover over your theme and click the pencil icon.
- Scroll to the Newsletter Block section, or click the Newsletter Block on your site to show all relevant tweaks.
- Hover over Done and click Save.
Newsletter Blocks are transparent, so their color will match the site or section background. If you want a Newsletter Block to stand out from the rest of your site, add it to a page section by itself and customize the section background color.
To style the block's fonts:
- In the Home Menu, click Design, then click Site Styles.
- Scroll down to the Newsletter Block section.
Options vary across templates, but you'll see some or all of the following style tweaks:
- Style - Choose from Dark, Light, or Custom
- Background Color
- Heading Color - Available with the Custom style
- Text color - Available with the Custom style
- Button Color
- Button Text Color - Not available when the button style is set to Outline
- Alternate options (for example, Alternate Background Color) - Available in some templates. These tweaks affect Newsletter Blocks outside the main content area, such as footers or page headers, to help them stand out against different background colors.
In the other sections of Site Styles:
- Use Heading tweaks (usually Heading 2) to change the title font.
- Use Body tweaks to change the rest of the text's font. In some templates, if you place the Newsletter Block in the footer, you may need to use footer-specific tweaks instead.
- The text sizes can't be changed.
- Use the tweaks in the Buttons section to customize the Submit button's style and shape. To learn more, visit Styling buttons.
Track Newsletter signups
See how visitors engage with your newsletter signup forms with Form & Button Conversions. You can track your form submission conversion rate, which compares the number of views a form received with the number of submissions it got.
The number of submissions doesn't match the number of subscribers
If you choose Email Campaigns or Mailchimp as a storage option, visitors who complete the form may receive an email asking them to confirm their subscription. This can cause discrepancies between the number of submissions and the number of subscribers in certain situations:
- The submitter hasn't verified signup with the confirmation email yet
- The submitter has submitted their email multiple times in a short period without verifying signup through the initial confirmation email
- The submitter has submitted their email but their address is already on the mailing list
You can take some steps to mitigate these discrepancies:
- To learn how to disable the confirmation email for Email Campaigns and use Google reCAPTCHA instead, visit Subscriber verification.
- To learn how to disable the confirmation email (double opt-in) for Mailchimp, visit Using Mailchimp with Squarespace.
The post-submit message isn't appearing
If you've set the Newsletter Block tweak to Light and the background color to white, this places white text over a white background, making text difficult to see. Change either tweak to resolve this issue.