Newsletter Blocks add an option for visitors to subscribe to a newsletter. The footer is a popular place for this block.
Watch a video
Before you begin
- If you're using Email Campaigns as the storage option, ensure you've created a mailing list in your Email Campaigns dashboard.
- If you're using Mailchimp as the storage option, create a new, empty audience in Mailchimp before connecting your Mailchimp account to the block.
- For the ability to add more form fields and send submissions to your email address, use the Form Block instead.
Add a Newsletter Block
To add a Newsletter Block:
- Edit a page or post, click an insert point, and select Newsletter from the menu. For help, visit Adding blocks.
- Use the Display tab to set up the Newsletter Block.
- Use the Storage tab to select a storage option.
- Use the Post-Submit tab to customize submission messages.
- Click Apply to save your changes.
Here's an example of how the Newsletter Block appears:
Set up the Newsletter Block
Customize the content and layout of the block in the Display tab. By default, the Newsletter Block displays one email address box. You can add or edit these options:
- Form Name - Give your Newsletter Block a name to keep track of its analytics.
- Title and Description - Display title and description text above the form boxes and submit button.
- Require Name Field - Check this option to add First Name and Last Name fields.
- Submit Button Label - Customize the text that displays on the submit button. The default text is Subscribe.
- Alignment - Align Newsletter Block content Left, Right, or Center.
- Layout - Change the layout of your Newsletter Block to Float Fields in a row or Stack Fields in a column.
Select a storage option
Connect the Newsletter Block to a storage option In the Storage tab.
There are four options for storing email addresses: Squarespace Email Campaigns, Zapier, Mailchimp, and Google Drive.
To add storage, follow the steps in Managing form and newsletter storage.
The Mailchimp and Zapier integrations in Newsletter Blocks are Premium features available in Business and Commerce plans.
Customize submission messages
Customize how the Newsletter Block behaves after visitors click the Submit button in the Post-Submit tab:
- Add a Post-Submit Redirect to take visitors to another page or an external site automatically after clicking the Submit button.
- Add a Post-Submit Message to appear after visitors click the Submit button. You can personalize this text and style it with the text toolbar. This message won't appear if a post-submit redirect is set up.
- Use the Post-Submit HTML box to add code to display along with the post-submit message.
Note: Adding Post-Submit HTML is an advanced modification, and we're unable to troubleshoot custom code issues.
Add reCAPTCHA to reduce spam
After saving the block, you can add Google reCAPTCHA to reduce spam. Visitors will have to prove that they're not robots before completing their submissions, which helps prevent spambots from subscribing. To learn more, visit Adding Google reCAPTCHA to forms.
Style the Newsletter Block
These style options are for version 7.0. In version 7.1, Newsletter Blocks follow global and section styles.
To change the appearance of your Newsletter Block:
- In the Home Menu, click Design, then click Site Styles.
- Scroll down to the Newsletter Block section.
Options vary across templates, but you'll see some or all of the following style tweaks:
- Style - Choose from Dark, Light, or Custom
- Background Color
- Heading Color - Available with the Custom style
- Text color - Available with the Custom style
- Button Color
- Button Text Color - Not available when the button style is set to Outline
- Alternate options (for example, Alternate Background Color) - Available in some templates. These tweaks affect Newsletter Blocks outside the main content area, such as footers or page headers, to help them stand out against different background colors.
In the other sections of Site Styles:
- Use Heading tweaks (usually Heading 2) to change the title font.
- Use Body tweaks to change the rest of the text's font.
- The text sizes can't be changed.
- Use the tweaks in the Buttons section to customize the Submit button's style and shape. To learn more, visit Styling buttons.
Track Newsletter signups
See how visitors engage with your newsletter signup forms with Form & Button Conversions. You can track your form submission conversion rate, which compares the number of views a form received with the number of submissions it got.
The post-submit message isn't appearing.
If you've set the Newsletter Block tweak to Light and the background color to white, this places white text over a white background, making text difficult to see. Change either tweak to resolve this issue.
The number of submissions doesn't match the number of subscribers
If you choose Email Campaigns or Mailchimp as your storage option, a subscription confirmation email is enabled automatically. This requires subscribers to confirm their subscription via email before they're added to your mailing list or audience. Some subscribers might not complete the process, which can cause discrepancies.
To learn how to disable the confirmation email (double opt-in) for Mailchimp, visit Using Mailchimp with Squarespace. You can't disable the confirmation email in Squarespace Email Campaigns.