Use this guide to troubleshoot any problems your customers might be experiencing when checking out.
Error message: "Your order can’t be completed because of an issue with the merchant payment setup. Please contact us about this issue."
If you see the error message, "Your order can’t be completed because of an issue with the merchant payment setup. Please contact us about this issue," your payment processor account may have been disconnected.
Your payment processor account may get disconnected if:
- There was an attempt to connect the same account to multiple Squarespace sites.
- An authorization change occurred within your account (a password change, for example).
To resolve the issue, reconnect your payment processor account:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, then click Payments.
- Click Stripe or PayPal.
- Click Disconnect Stripe or Disconnect PayPal.
- Click Connect Stripe or Connect PayPal to reconnect.
Error message: "We couldn't find the page you were looking for."
A page with a message saying "We couldn't find the page you were looking for..." may display after checkout instead of the order confirmation page if your domain isn't connected properly.
If this happens, the order was still processed, and you didn't lose the customer's payment. (If you want to double-check, you can look up their order in the Orders panel.)
To prevent this from happening again, ensure that your domain is correctly connected by following our guide. If you recently connected your domain, note that it can take up to 72 hours to fully process.
If a customer's checkout failed, there's probably nothing wrong with your store setup. You may want to have the customer contact their bank to verify their credit card is working correctly, or contact Stripe directly. Stripe checks with the customer's bank to ensure that the billing address and zip code are valid for the credit card number when attempting to process a purchase.
Expired digital products
After a customer orders a digital product, they receive a link to download the product. The link will expire 24 hours after it's first clicked.
If you need to resend the download link, you can do so in Email Notifications tab in their Order Summary.
Country unavailable in drop-down menu
If you're unable to select a desired country from the drop-down menu, a shipping option for this country hasn't been set yet. Adding a shipping rule for this country will resolve the issue. For help, visit Setting country shipping rules.
Shopping cart icon is missing
If your shopping cart icon isn't showing, look for the following potential causes:
- Check that your site has at least one product on a Products Page.
- Ensure Express Checkout is disabled in Checkout Settings. Enabling Express Checkout disables the shopping cart.
- Check your Style Editor to see if your shopping cart is hidden. In certain templates, like Brine, you can hide the shopping cart.