Use this guide to troubleshoot problems you or your customers might see on your checkout page.
Check for browser issues first
If a customer is using a valid form of payment and can't check out, it’s likely because of an issue related to their browser. Unless they see one of the error messages listed below, ask your customer to try these troubleshooting steps:
- Ensure they’re using the most up-to-date version of their browser.
- Clear their cache, or test the purchase from an incognito browser window.
- Disable any browser extensions.
- Contact their bank to verify their credit card is working properly.
- Contact Stripe directly. Stripe checks with the customer's bank to ensure that the billing address and postal code are valid for the credit card number when attempting to process a purchase.
Unable to process payment
This means: There’s an issue with your Stripe or PayPal connection.
To resolve the issue: Ensure your Stripe account is verified, or refresh your connection by disconnecting and reconnecting Stripe. Contact Stripe directly to ensure your account is fully set up. If you use PayPal, disconnect and reconnect your account or contact PayPal directly.
We couldn't find the page you were looking for
This means: Your domain might not be connected properly. If this happens, the order was still processed, and you didn't lose the customer's payment.
To double-check that the order went through, look up their order in the Orders panel.
To resolve the issue: Ensure that your domain is correctly connected. If you recently connected your domain, it can take up to 72 hours to fully process.
Your order can’t be completed because of an issue with the merchant payment setup. Please contact us about this issue.
This means: Your payment processor account may have been disconnected from Squarespace. For your security, a payment processor will disconnect if:
To resolve the issue, reconnect your payment processor account:
Country unavailable in drop-down menu
If the customer can't select their country in the shipping or billing information, you don’t have a shipping option for that country yet. For help adding a shipping rule, visit Setting country shipping rules.
Expired digital products
After a customer orders a digital product, they receive a link to download the product. The link will expire 24 hours after it's first clicked. You can resend the download link in the Email Notifications tab of their Order Summary.
Shopping cart icon is missing
In most templates, the icon appears when a customer adds a product to their cart. In some templates, it always displays.
If your shopping cart icon isn't showing, look for the following potential causes:
- Check that your site has at least one product on a Products Page.
- Ensure Express Checkout is disabled in Checkout Settings. Enabling Express Checkout disables the shopping cart.
- Check your Site Styles to see if your shopping cart is hidden.
The shopping cart can be hidden in these templates. Use the listed Site Styles tweak to show it again.
Your store can’t accept real payments while it’s in test mode. To resolve this issue, disable test mode.
Customers can't add products to their carts
If a customer reaches out with trouble adding products to their cart, try these troubleshooting steps:
- Ensure the products are set to visible, and that the Products Page is live.
- Check for custom code in the product's Additional Information tab and your site's Header Code Injection field. Remove the code to see if that resolves the issue.
- Ask your customer to ensure cookies are enabled on their browser. Here are instructions for Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.