After setting up a Form Block, you'll select storage options. This tells the Form Block where to send form submissions so you can collect and take action on them. You can connect an email address, a new MailChimp list, and/or a Google Sheet. It can be helpful to connect multiple storage options so you have a backup of all received submissions.
You can use these same steps to set storage options for a Newsletter Block.
If you see an "Add Storage to This Form" message when you try to save the block, just follow this guide.
Note: At least one storage option is required, but we recommend connecting an additional option as a backup. Since Squarespace doesn't store information collected through Form Blocks, all submissions are passed directly to the connected storage options. If you don't select a storage option, the form won't have a place to send submissions, and visitors won't be able send the form.
Go to the Storage tab
- In the Pages panel, click the page where you added the Form Block.
- Double-click the Form Block to open the editor.
- In the Form Block Editor, click the Storage tab.
- Click the connect icon next to each option you want to use, and follow the steps below.
Send forms to an email address
You can connect to an email address to have Form Block submissions emailed to you. The Email storage option is automatically enabled and set with your site Administrator's email address.
To send form submissions to a different email address:
- In the Storage tab of the Form Block Editor, click the X icon next to the address.
- Enter a different email address.
- Click Connect. The address field shows the text Sending to when it's successfully connected.
Note: Only one email address can connect to a Form Block. To send form submissions to multiple email addresses, use your email provider's automatic forwarding feature. See Gmail's instructions for forwarding here.
Form email format
Once this is set up, you'll receive a new email for each form submission. Emails include the following information and can't be customized at this time:
- From - email@example.com
- Subject Line - Form Submission - Form Name - Subject
- Body - All form fields on separate lines followed by ("Sent via Your Site Title")
Note: All form submission emails are sent in both plain text and HTML.
Replying to form submissions
If your form includes an email address, some email providers let you reply to the form submission email directly. If you experience issues with this, copy the submitted email address and respond by creating a new email instead.
Send forms to Google Drive
To send form submissions to a Google Sheet, you can connect your block to Google Drive. When using Google Drive in a Form Block or Newsletter Block, keep the following in mind:
- To use Google Drive as a storage option, it will need to connect to a new, empty Google Sheet. Form Blocks can't be used with existing sheets or connect to a specific tab within a sheet.
- If you disconnect from Google Drive, then reconnect within the same Form Block, it will reconnect to the previously connected Google Sheet.
- You can create email notifications for new form submissions in your Google Sheet. To learn how to set this up, visit Google's documentation.
- Connecting more than 25 Form Blocks to a single Google Drive account may cause some Form Blocks to disconnect.
To follow these steps, you should already have a Google account:
- In the Storage tab of the Form Block Editor, click the connect icon next to Google Drive.
- Log into your Google account.
- Click Accept in the message to grant Squarespace the necessary permissions.
- Enter a Spreadsheet Name. This creates a new Google Sheet to receive future form submissions. You can then access your submissions sheet from Google Drive, or directly from Google Sheets. For more help with Google Drive, visit Google's overview.
Send forms to a new MailChimp subscriber list
To use the Form Block to build an audience for email campaigns, you can connect the block to a new MailChimp subscriber list. When using MailChimp in a Form Block or Newsletter Block, keep the following in mind:
- To use MailChimp as a storage option, it will need to connect to a new, empty MailChimp list. Form Blocks can't be used with existing MailChimp lists.
- To connect multiple Form or Newsletter Blocks to the same MailChimp list, keep the form fields and settings exactly the same between the blocks. Any differences can cause form submissions to be dropped/rejected by MailChimp.
- Per MailChimp's policy, lists can't exceed 30 data fields. If the Form Block has more than 30 Form Fields, edit the Form Block and remove some fields.
- To reduce spam and protect subscribers, MailChimp has a double opt-in process that requires new subscribers to confirm their subscription via a "Welcome" email. To be added to a subscriber list, the visitor must confirm via that email. If there's a discrepancy between subscribers and form submissions, it probably means some people didn't confirm via email.
To follow these steps, you should already have a MailChimp account:
- In the Storage tab of the Form Block Editor, click the connect icon next to MailChimp.
- Log into a MailChimp account.
- Select a MailChimp list from the drop-down menu.
Click Apply to complete connections and close the block.
Connect multiple blocks to the same storage option
Connecting multiple Form Blocks to the same storage option, meaning a specific MailChimp list or Google Sheet, can cause issues. Your forms may drop submission data or disconnect from MailChimp or Google Drive. We recommend using a separate MailChimp list or Google Sheet for each Form or Newsletter Block on your site when possible.
If you choose to connect multiple blocks to the same storage option, each block must be absolutely identical. Any discrepancies between type, name, or arrangement of fields between blocks will create errors.
Note: You can connect multiple blocks to the same email address.
Use the following steps to troubleshoot any issues:
- Disconnect the storage option.
- If you're using MailChimp, reset the MailChimp connection for each block.
- Check each block to confirm all fields are identical.
- Reconnect the storage option for each block.
- After connecting a Form Block to Storage, we recommend submitting a few test forms so you can see how it works.
- Then, you can add advanced customizations like a Post-Submit Message.