The Text Block is the primary means of adding text to your site. You can use Text Blocks to add headings, links, lists, quotes, and preformatted text.
Watch a video
Before you begin
When adding text to your site, follow these best practices:
- If you're pasting text from another source, paste it as plain text. This action removes formatting that can interfere with how your text displays. For preparing text outside of Squarespace, consider using a plain text editor such as Notepad for Windows or TextEdit for Mac.
- To troubleshoot text you've already pasted, use the Text Toolbar to remove formatting. For more tips, visit Fixing text formatting.
- Use the Text Block to add your text. Use the Site Styles panel to change fonts, colors, and sizes.
- The Text Block doesn't have a built-in tool for underlining text.
- Foreign characters may cause formatting issues in the Text Block.
- Squarespace doesn't support scripts or text written Right-to-Left (RTL).
Add a Text Block
A new Regular Page, blog post, and event starts with a Text Block. Click Write here… to add your text.
To add more Text Blocks, click an Insert Point and select Text from the Block menu. For more detailed steps, visit Adding blocks.
To add text, click Write here….
Press Enter to create a new paragraph.
Tip: For less space between lines, add a line break by pressing Shift + Enter.
Use your mouse to highlight text. Then, use the icons in the text toolbar to reformat your text. To learn about the text toolbar and your formatting options, visit Formatting and styling text.
Remove the Text Block
To remove the Text Block, click the trash can icon. You can also click the padding around a Text Block and drag the Block to the trash can icon that appears.
For more detailed steps, visit Deleting a block.
Note: This action can’t be undone unless you cancel all edits to the page.
How do I change fonts?
To change font types, colors, and sizes, use the Site Styles editor. To learn more, visit Changing fonts.
Are there keyboard shortcuts?
Yes. For a full list, visit Squarespace keyboard shortcuts and tips.
Can I underline text?
No, the Text Block doesn't have an editing function to underline text.
If you’re comfortable using HTML, you can do this using a Markdown Block or Code Block. Please note that we don't provide support for advanced modifications like these. Review our Custom code FAQ for more details.
Can I format text in different colors?
Each text style can be a different color, set in the Site Styles panel, and all site text matches the color chosen for that style. This means that all normal (paragraph) text will be the same color, and each heading type will have the same color as other headings of the same type. This helps create a cohesive look for your site.
Can I justify text?
No. This can only be done with custom CSS.
Can a Text Block have a different background color?
The Text Block doesn't have a setting for a unique background color. The best way to create this is to use a background image if your template supports it.
Can I add an image to a Text Block?
Yes. You can wrap an image around text by floating an Image Block in a Text Block.
Why does some text look different from the rest?
This is probably a result of copying and pasting text into a Text Block. For more information, visit Fixing text formatting.
Why are Text Blocks merging?
Text Blocks placed next to each other horizontally won't merge. You can still use Spacer Blocks between each Text Block to create space between columns.