If you purchased a domain from Network Solutions and want to keep it registered with them, you can connect it to your site by following this guide. In this process, you'll change a few settings in your Network Solutions account. After completing these steps, your domain will stay registered with Network Solutions, but it will connect to your Squarespace site. Before you begin, review our requirements for connecting a third-party domain.
Tip: We recommend transferring your domain to Squarespace instead of connecting it. Here are some reasons why you might want to transfer your domain:
- You can move all aspects of managing it to your Squarespace account so you won't need to pay for it through a third party.
- Your domain could qualify for one free year of hosting.
- Squarespace can help with any issues with your domain directly.
Watch a video
Step 1 - Start the connection in Squarespace
To connect your domain, start in the Domains panel:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, and then click Domains. You can also press the ? key while any panel is open and search domains.
- Click Use a Domain I Own.
- Enter the full domain name you’re connecting in the Domain Name box, and then click Continue.
- Click Connect From Provider.
Note: If you see a message that says "This domain is already connected to another Squarespace site," check your other Squarespace sites to find where the domain is connected. Then disconnect it from that site.
- Select Network Solutions from the drop-down menu.
- Click Connect Domain.
- In the message that appears, click Okay.
- A new panel will open with the records to create in your Network Solutions account. Keep this panel open for your reference.
Step 2 - Log into Network Solutions
Go to www.networksolutions.com and log into your account. Click Edit DNS in your Account Manager.
Click Edit Advanced DNS Records for the domain you want to modify.
You'll now copy the records from the Domain panel so your Network Solutions domain correctly links to your Squarespace site.
Note: Don't delete MX records during this process. MX Records connect your email address, and deleting them could interfere with your email service.
Step 3 - Check current A Records
Before adding your CNAME records, ensure you don't have an active www value within your A Records.
- In your Network Solutions account, navigate to IP Address (A Records).
- Click Edit A Records.
- Find the www Host and delete any values in the corresponding Numeric IP box. You'll keep this box blank to add www as a CNAME value in a later step.
Step 4 - Add the CNAME Records
In the first line of your Squarespace DNS Settings, copy the unique code that appears directly below the Host column. The unique code is a random string of numbers and letters that must point to verify.squarespace.com.
In your Network Solutions account, scroll down to Host Aliases (CNAME Records) and click Edit CNAME Records.
- In the first Alias box, paste the unique code from Host column of the Domains panel.
- Click the circle next to Other Host.
- In the Other Host box, enter verify.squarespace.com
Note: If you don't add this unique code, or if it's entered incorrectly, the domain will unlink from your site after 15 days. If this happens, you can start over to reconnect the domain.
Return to your Squarespace DNS Settings. In the second line, www appears directly below the Host column. This record must point to ext-cust.squarespace.com.
In your Network Solutions account, add a new CNAME with the following values:
- In the first Alias box, enter www
- Click the circle next to Other Host.
- In the Other Host box, enter ext-cust.squarespace.com
Note: If you already have a record for www, check Other Host and enter ext-cust.squarespace.com in the box.
Click Continue. You should now have two CNAME records. The first with your unique Host code pointing to verify.squarespace.com, the second with www pointing to ext-cust.squarespace.com.
Step 5 - Add A Records
In the last four lines of your Squarespace DNS Settings, you'll see four IP addresses in the Required Data column. Using the steps below, create four A Records in Network Solutions matching these values.
In your Network Solutions account, under IP Address (A Records) click Edit A Records.
- Find the record with @ (None) in its Host field.
- Add 126.96.36.199 to the right of @ (None).
- Scroll down and add @ to three boxes in the left hand column.
Add the following values to the three boxes directly to the right of where you entered each @:
Then click Continue.
You should now have four A records pointing to the following IP addresses:
Note: If you have existing A Records, edit any with Host Name @ (None) so the Numeric IP matches the values above. If you see other A Records in your account that don’t match what’s shown in this guide:
- Host: @ (None) - Delete only if it doesn't match what’s shown in this guide.
- Host: blank - Delete. "Blank" specifies your domain without the www in front.
- Host: Mail or Email - Don’t delete. This connects to your email address. Deleting it could interfere with your email service.
Step 6 - Refresh
After changing your records, return to your Squarespace DNS Settings and click Refresh below the records.
The Current Data column in the panel will start to update and show if your records are entered correctly. It can take up to 72 hours for this information to process.
To go the previous panel, click the arrow in the top-left corner.
Step 7 - Wait and test
If all records are entered correctly, your domain will connect to your site within 24 hours. At times, it can take up to 72 hours. Visit the Domains panel at any time to check your progress.
When the domain is correctly linked, the domain will appear in the Domains panel with a Connected label.
Troubleshoot with the DNS record checker
If we detect that your records weren’t set up properly, your domain will appear in the Domains panel with the message Can’t verify domain ownership.
To troubleshoot, use the DNS checker tool in the Domains panel to see the exact CNAME and A Records to fix with your domain provider.
Click the domain in the Domains panel, and then click DNS Settings. For detailed instructions, visit Checking your domain mapping records.
Getting more help
For more help with settings in your Network Solutions account, contact their support team at (800) 333-7680. To help them understand your issue, you can use our sample message. You can also visit their documentation.