Your domain provider hosts your custom domain name, like www.yourdomain.com. You’ll need to know who your domain provider is to:
- Transfer the domain to Squarespace
- Connect the domain to Squarespace
- Set up MX records for G Suite (for third-party domains only)
If you’re not sure where a domain is registered or hosted, you can find its provider by looking at your Account Dashboard or searching for its WHOIS records. This guide shows you how to identify a domain’s provider using ICANN’s free tool.
Tip: When you build a site with Squarespace, Squarespace is your web host. Learn more about the difference between web hosting and domain hosting.
Find your domain provider
To identify your domain host, first check your Account Dashboard:
- Go to account.squarespace.com. Or, if you're logged into a site, go to the Home Menu, scroll down, and click your profile picture or initials.
- If prompted, log into your account. If you're having trouble, visit I can't log in.
- Click the Domains tab.
- Find the domain name, then click the ... symbol in that row.
- The name listed next to Provider is your domain provider.
If the provider is listed as Unknown, use the following steps to look up the domain's WHOIS records:
- Go to ICANN’s lookup.
- Enter your domain name in the search field.
- Click Lookup.
- On the results page, look for the name and URL listed in Registrar and Registrar URL sections.
- The Registrar is usually your domain provider. Use the Registrar URL to log into your domain account or contact the provider for more help. If you see a Reseller listed, this might be your domain provider instead. To make changes to your domain, try logging into your account with your reseller first.
Note: If Tucows is listed as the Registrar, Squarespace may be your provider. See the next section for more information.
Tucows and Squarespace Domains
If you registered a domain with Squarespace, Squarespace is your domain provider.
Squarespace is a reseller of the registrar Tucows. Tucows sells domains directly and through other resellers. If you see Tucows listed in your WHOIS record, you can confirm if we host your domain by searching for it in your Squarespace account.
To confirm if Squarespace is your domain provider:
- Log into any site on your Squarespace account.
- In the Home Menu, scroll down and click your profile picture or initials.
- A window will open showing a grid of all sites in this account. In the search bar at the top, enter the domain.
- If a site appears in the results, the domain is linked to that site. Click the site to log into it.
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, then click Domains.
- Look for your domain name in the panel.
- If it’s listed under Managed by Squarespace, Squarespace is your domain provider.
- If it’s listed under Managed by Third Party, it’s managed by Tucows or a different reseller. Use the details in your WHOIS search for more information.
After identifying your domain provider, you can: