Enable members of your organization to access your account using a secure and streamlined login method.
If you’re on our Enterprise plan, you can set up single sign-on (SSO) with Okta. Follow the steps in this guide to set up Okta for your Squarespace Enterprise organization. This will enable your team to log in through SSO to manage and edit your websites from your Enterprise dashboard.
To set up Okta as a login method for viewing private sites and pages, visit Setting up single sign-on (SSO) protected sites and pages.
This feature is for Enterprise customers only. It's not available for other plan levels and it doesn't apply to Acuity Scheduling Enterprise accounts.
- SSO (OpenID Connect) initiated from Okta
- Automatic account creation in Squarespace on initial SSO
- System for Cross-Domain Identity Management (SCIM)
- Automatic permissions granted to accounts created through SSO
The Okta SSO integration is available to customers on our Enterprise plan. To set up the integration, you need to be an admin in your Okta organization.
Add Squarespace to your Okta organization
Before you can set up the Okta SSO integration in Squarespace, you need to add Squarespace as an application in your Okta organization.
- In the Admin view of your Okta organization, click Add Application, search for Squarespace, then click Add.
- Enter an Org Name in General Settings. This is used by Squarespace to create a unique sign-on URL to link from your Okta dashboard. The URL will look like https://account.squarespace.com/org/example, with your org name in place of example.
- Click Done.
- In the Sign On tab, copy the Client ID and Client Secret. You'll need these values, along with the Okta Issuer URL (https://example.okta.com) to finish the set-up in Squarespace.
Set up Okta SSO in Squarespace
To set up the Okta SSO integration in Squarespace:
- Go to account.squarespace.com. If prompted, log into your account using your business email.
- Click Personal in the top-right corner, then select your organization's name from the drop-down menu.
- In the top navigation menu, click the Preferences tab.
- In the SSO details section, click Add Credentials, then select Okta from the drop-down menu.
- Enter your client ID, client secret, and single sign-on URL.
- Give your SSO login an internal name, then click Save SSO.
Note: If you can't set up the Okta integration, you can contact your Squarespace Account Manager for help.
To give users access to the Squarespace SSO, click the Assignments tab, then click Assign. Ensure the User Name field is a valid email.
Assigned users can log into Squarespace via SSO through the Squarespace app on their Okta dashboards. Keep in mind, accounts won't be created in Squarespace until the initial SSO login.
Set up SCIM (optional)
With SCIM user provisioning, user accounts in Okta sync with accounts in Squarespace. For example, when your users update their name or email address in Okta, those changes also happen in their Squarespace account.
To get started, contact us to receive a SCIM API key.
- Create users
- Update user attributes
- Deactivate users
Supported SCIM user attributes
- id (Squarespace user ID)
- externalId (ID passed to Squarespace from Okta)
- userName (email address in Squarespace)
- emails (limited to size 1 - same as userName)
- After receiving your SCIM API key from your account manager, click the Squarespace app in your Okta dashboard, then click the Sign In tab and select Email in the Application username format.
- Click the Provisioning tab, then click Configure API Integration.
- Check Enable API integration and enter your SCIM API key from Squarespace.
- Click Test API Credentials to ensure the integration can connect successfully.
- Click Save.
- In the To App section under Provisioning, select the actions you want to enable Okta to perform, such as Create Users, Update Users, and Deactivate Users, then click Save.
If you run into any issues please contact Squarespace support or your account manager.
Automatic permissions (optional)
On sites protected with SSO, you can use Okta groups to automatically grant users specific Squarespace permissions. Currently, only Admin and Website Editor permissions are supported. To learn more about permissions, visit Squarespace permissions explained.
To do this:
- Create Native Okta groups with the names app_squarespace_admin and app_squarespace_editor. Group names must be exact to work.
- Add users who should be Admins and Website Editors to each respective group.
- The first time a user in one of the groups logs in to your Squarespace site, they will automatically get the designated permissions.
Alternatively, existing contributors with Admin permissions can add contributors manually, as long as the contributors are part of your Okta org and have been assigned the Squarespace SSO.
Contributors can log in with SSO through the Squarespace login screen on a computer. After typing in their email address, an SSO button will replace the password field.
They can also log in through their Okta dashboard, or by bookmarking the URLs specific to your org that match the following formats, replacing example with the org name or built-in site URL:
- https://example.squarespace.com/config (if your site is protected by SSO)