If you're based in Germany, use this guide as a checklist while you build your site. These resources will help you connect with a German-speaking audience, answer questions you may have about the GDPR, and comply with local regulations about what information to display on your site. If you’re brand new to Squarespace and don’t have a site yet, you may want to visit Getting Started first.
Localize your site
Reach your audience in their native language by using a familiar domain and adjusting some of your site's settings:
If your audience speaks multiple languages, see these tips for building a multilingual site in Squarespace.
If you run an online store, you can also:
Add an imprint (impressum) page
Learn about GDPR and cookies
The General Data Protection Regulation, or GDPR, is a European privacy law which came into effect May 25, 2018. Use these links to learn about the GDPR, what Squarespace does to help you comply, and what information you should share with your visitors.
- Learn how Squarespace helps you comply with the GDPR and GDPR best practices for Squarespace Sites.
- Learn about the cookies Squarespace uses.
- Complete a personal data audit to determine what information you collect from your visitors.
- Add a cookie banner to obtain active consent from visitors.
- Disable Activity Log and Analytics cookies to stop Squarespace from placing them on visitors’ browsers and collecting personal data.
Review our site launch checklist
Now that you’ve read this checklist for German customers, visit our general Site launch checklist to learn about optimizing your site for search engines, and how to finalize your pages before publishing your site.