Use the URL Builder to create unique, trackable URLs for ad campaigns. These links are useful for measuring how many times visitors clicked through to your site from an ad, and any revenue generated during the visit. Each link is tracked individually in the Traffic Sources panel, so you can compare the progress and success of specific campaigns.
To open the URL Builder, go to the Marketing panel and click URL Builder. You'll also see an option to open it in the Traffic Sources panel.
The URL Builder is available for Website Business, Commerce Basic, and Commerce Advanced plans.
You can use the URL Builder to create links for these platforms:
- Facebook Ads
- Instagram Ads
- Google Ads
- Twitter Ads
- Pinterest Ads
- YouTube Ads
- LinkedIn Ads
Squarespace Analytics already tracks individual Squarespace Email Campaigns and Instagram Shopping campaigns, so you don't need to create a special link for them.
Tip: If there's an ad platform you'd like to use that isn't currently supported, click the Ad Platform drop-down menu and choose Request Another Channel to let us know.
You can create links that direct to any Layout Page or collection page (like a Blog Page or Products Page) on your site. You can also link to tags or categories within a collection page.
It's not possible to link directly to:
- Individual collection items, such as specific products or blog posts. Instead, give it or them a unique tag, then use URL Builder to link to that tag within the collection page. The ad's link will direct visitors to the filtered page for that tag.
- Pages within an Index. Instead, link to the main Index Page.
Create a link
To create a trackable URL:
- In the Home Menu, click Marketing, then click URL Builder.
- Click Create URL.
- Use the Destination Page drop-down menu to choose the page you're linking to in your ad.
- Use the Ad Platform drop-down menu to choose the platform where you'll be posting your ad.
- Click Next.
- Follow the prompts to add the URL and any other needed information to the ad campaign on the platform you chose.
Tip: The URL isn't saved when you close the window. If you're planning to make the actual ad later, it's a good idea to save the URL and any parameters in a separate document. If the link is lost, you can always create a new one.
Track the link
After you publish your ad, visit the Traffic Sources panel to see the tracked clicks.