A mailing list is a collection of email addresses. When you're ready to launch your email campaign, you'll send it to one or more mailing lists. You can also:
- Add contacts directly to a mailing list.
- Add signup areas to your site so visitors can subscribe.
- Export your contacts.
To see your mailing lists or add new ones, go to the Email Campaigns dashboard and click Mailing Lists.
Create a mailing list
To add a mailing list from your Campaigns dashboard, click Mailing Lists, then click Add.
- We recommend you read our best practices before adding contacts to your list.
- To move contacts from one list to another, export the contacts and import them into the new list.
- Currently, there's a limit of 20 mailing lists and 250,000 subscribers per list.
Note: Ensure you have permission to send emails to every subscriber on your list. If you're sending commercial messages, review the legal requirements for your country and the country of anyone you're emailing, such as CAN-SPAM, CASL, and PECR.
Add contacts individually
To add a contact manually, click any mailing list, then:
- If the mailing list has no contacts, click Add Subscribers Manually.
- If the mailing list has one or more contacts, click Manage List, then Create New.
You can import a .csv list of contacts that you've exported from another email marketing service.
- Create a new list - To import the contacts as a new list, create a new mailing list, then click Import CSV.
- Add the contacts to an existing list - If a mailing list has one or more contacts, click the list, click Manage List, then click Import List.
Lists uploaded to Campaigns must have 50,000 contacts or less.
Your .csv file can have up to three columns, arranged in this order: Email address, first name (optional), and last name (optional). If your .csv file has more than these three columns, the other columns will be ignored.
Here's an example of how your file should be set up:
Tip: If someone unsubscribes, uploading a .csv with their email address won't resubscribe them.
Connect forms to your list
There are several ways to add forms to your site that connect to your mailing lists:
- Newsletter Block - Add a form to any area on your site that accepts blocks, such as a Layout Page, footer, or blog post.
- Promotional Pop-Ups - Create a pop-up with a subscription form that appears when visitors land on your site.
- Cover Pages - Add a newsletter form to a splash page with unique styles.
- Checkout - During checkout, encourage customers to sign up for your list.
For each of these, connect the form's storage area to a Campaigns mailing list. Each storage area can point to one mailing list.
For Newsletter Blocks, Promotional Pop-Ups, and Cover Pages, the subscriber will receive a confirmation email. They must click a link to confirm their subscription. This confirms that the email recipient signed up to receive your emails.
Tip: To add a "subscribe" link to your campaign, create a page on your site with a Newsletter Block, then connect to it with a button or text link.
Here's an example of a Newsletter Block added to a Layout Page:
Delete a list
To remove a mailing list:
- Click the list you want to delete.
- Click Manage List.
- Click Delete List.
Delete a contact
To remove a subscriber from a mailing list:
- Click the list with the contact you want to delete.
- Hover over the contact and click the trash can icon.
Tip: Subscribers can remove themselves by clicking the Unsubscribe link in your campaign.
Rename a list
To change a mailing list name, click Manage List, then click Rename. The list must have one or more contacts.
It isn't currently possible to edit a contact.
- If an email address is incorrect, delete the contact and add a new contact with the correct information.
- If a contact only has an email address and you want to add a name to it, add a new contact with the same email address. The two contacts will be merged.
Send campaigns to mailing lists
When you're ready to send your campaign, you'll select one or more mailing lists in the Email tab of your campaign draft. To learn more, visit Sending an email campaign.
You can create mailing lists at any time. After your three free trial campaigns, subscribe to an Email Campaigns plan to send more campaigns.
Tip: If a subscriber is on multiple lists, they'll only receive one email.
Export a mailing list
To export an Email Campaigns mailing list as a .csv file:
- From the Email Campaigns dashboard, click Mailing Lists.
- Click the list you want to export.
- Click Manage List.
- Click Export List.
This downloads a .zip file that includes three files: subscribed users, unsubscribed users, and cleaned users.
Export mailing lists from other providers
Most providers let you export your contacts as a .csv list. You can then import those contacts into an Email Campaigns mailing list.
Your .csv file can have up to three columns:
- Email address
- First name (optional)
- Last name (optional)
For example, to export your list of contacts from Mailchimp:
- Log into Mailchimp.
- Click Audiences and click the audience you want to download.
- Click Export Audience.
- An Exporting message appears.
- The Exporting message turns into an Exported message. (You may need to refresh the page.)
- Click Export as CSV. The audience will download as a zip file to your computer.
- Open the file so it unzips. You'll see a Subscribed list and an Unsubscribed list.
- Import the file into Squarespace Email Campaigns.
For more help, visit Mailchimp's documentation.
To export mailing lists from other providers, visit their documentation:
Double opt-in sends an email to any new subscriber asking them to confirm their subscription before adding them to the mailing list.
When connected to Email Campaign mailing lists, double opt-in is enabled for:
Double opt-in isn't enabled for:
- Checkout newsletter subscribe option
- Addresses added manually
- Imported addresses
It's not possible to change these settings.
When someone clicks Unsubscribe in your campaign footer, their name and email address are removed from all mailing lists. When they unsubscribe, they'll see the option to resubscribe.
To learn more and track unsubscribes, visit Email campaign unsubscribes.