A mailing list is a collection of email addresses. When you're ready to send your email campaign, you'll send it to one or more mailing lists. You can also:
- Add contacts directly to a mailing list.
- Add signup areas to your site so visitors can subscribe.
- Export your contacts.
To see your mailing lists or add new ones, go to the Email Campaigns dashboard and click Mailing Lists.
Create a mailing list
To add a mailing list from your Campaigns dashboard, click Mailing Lists, then click Add.
- For tips on building a successful, healthy mailing list, visit our best practices before adding contacts.
- To move contacts between lists, export the contacts and import them into the new list.
- Contacts appear on mailing lists in the order they were added, with the oldest appearing at the top and the newest appearing at the bottom.
- Currently, there's a limit of 20 mailing lists.
- Mailing lists have no subscriber limit, but if a list has more than your monthly send limit, you won't be able to send campaigns to that list.
Note: Ensure you have permission to send emails to every subscriber on your list. If you're sending commercial messages, review the legal requirements for your country and the country of anyone you're emailing, such as CAN-SPAM, CASL, and PECR.
Add contacts individually
To add a contact manually, click any mailing list, then:
- If the mailing list has no contacts, click Add Subscribers Manually.
- If the mailing list has one or more contacts, click ..., then Create New.
You can import a .csv list of contacts that you've exported from another email marketing service.
- Create a new list - To import the contacts as a new list, create a new mailing list, then click Import CSV.
- Add the contacts to an existing list - If a mailing list has one or more contacts, click the list, click ..., then click Import List.
Lists uploaded to Campaigns must have 50,000 contacts or less. If you upload mailing lists with duplicate contacts, our system will exclude the duplicates.
Your .csv file can have up to three columns, and must be arranged in this order:
- Email address
- First name (optional)
- Last name (optional)
If your .csv file has different data in the first three columns, our system will still import them regardless of how they're titled or what kind of information is in them. For example, if your third column has middle names, they'll be imported into your list as last names. If your .csv file has more than three columns, the other columns will be ignored.
Here's an example of how your file should be set up:
Note: If someone unsubscribes from a mailing list in Squarespace, uploading a .csv with their email address to the same mailing list won't resubscribe them.
Connect forms to your list
There are several ways to add forms to your site that connect to your mailing lists:
- Newsletter Block - Add a form to any area on your site that accepts blocks, such as a Layout Page, footer, or blog post.
- Promotional pop-ups - Create a pop-up with a subscription form that appears when visitors land on your site.
- Cover Pages - Add a newsletter form to a splash page with unique styles.
- Checkout - During checkout, encourage customers to sign up for your list.
For each of these, connect the form's storage area to a Campaigns mailing list. Each storage area can point to one mailing list.
For Newsletter Blocks, promotional pop-ups, and Cover Pages, the subscriber will need to verify their subscription.
Tip: To add a "subscribe" link to your campaign, create a page on your site with a Newsletter Block, then connect to it with a button or text link.
Here's an example of a Newsletter Block added to a Layout Page:
Squarespace Point of Sale email subscribers
When you make a sale via Squarespace Point of Sale in the Commerce App, customers can subscribe to a mailing list at checkout. If you don’t already have a newsletter subscribe option at checkout, subscriber email addresses are added to a default mailing list in Squarespace Email Campaigns called Default. You can sign up for Email Campaigns to start sending emails.
Delete a list
To remove a mailing list:
- Click the list you want to delete.
- Click ....
- Click Delete List.
Delete a contact
To remove a subscriber from a mailing list:
- Click the list with the contact you want to delete.
- Hover over the contact and click the trash can icon.
Tip: Subscribers can remove themselves by clicking the Unsubscribe link in your campaign.
Rename a list
To change a mailing list name, click ..., then click Rename. The list must have one or more contacts.
To search a mailing list for a subscriber:
- Click the mailing list you want to search.
- Scroll to the subscriber list and enter their full email address in the search field.
- Click Search.
It's not possible to search for subscribers by name or incomplete email addresses.
If a contact only has an email address and no name, or it has an outdated or incorrect name, add a new contact with the same email address. The two contacts will merge and the name information will be updated.
If multiple contacts have outdated or incorrect names, you can import a new .csv file with the correct information. The imported .csv file will overwrite existing subscriber First Name and Last Name fields in the mailing list, unless the email address is associated with a Customer Account.
Send campaigns to mailing lists
When you're ready to send your campaign, you'll select one or more mailing lists in the Email tab of your campaign draft. To learn more, visit Sending an email campaign.
You can create mailing lists at any time. After your three free trial campaigns, subscribe to an Email Campaigns plan to send more campaigns.
Tip: If a subscriber is on multiple lists, they'll only receive one email.
Export a mailing list
To export an Email Campaigns mailing list as a .csv file:
- From the Email Campaigns dashboard, click Mailing Lists.
- Click the list you want to export.
- Click ....
- Click Export List.
This downloads a .zip file that includes three files: subscribed users, unsubscribed users, and cleaned users.
Export mailing lists from other providers
Most providers let you export your contacts as a .csv list. You can then import those contacts into an Email Campaigns mailing list.
Your .csv file can have up to three columns:
- Email address
- First name (optional)
- Last name (optional)
For example, to export your list of contacts from Mailchimp:
- Log into Mailchimp.
- Click Audiences and click the audience you want to download.
- Click Export Audience.
- An Exporting message appears.
- The Exporting message turns into an Exported message. (You may need to refresh the page.)
- Click Export as CSV. The audience will download as a zip file to your computer.
- Open the file so it unzips. You'll see a Subscribed list and an Unsubscribed list.
- Import the file into Squarespace Email Campaigns.
For more help, visit Mailchimp's documentation.
To export mailing lists from other providers, visit their documentation:
Track mailing list growth and unsubscribes
You can view a mailing list's subscriber growth over time, and see which addresses have been removed or unsubscribed from the list.
When someone clicks Unsubscribe in your campaign footer, their name and email address are removed from all mailing lists. When they unsubscribe, they'll see the option to resubscribe. To learn more and track unsubscribes, visit Email campaign unsubscribes.