Adding your business name and address helps build credibility with customers, and can help emails, like Email Campaigns and order and shipping confirmations, avoid spam filters. In addition, including this information may help you meet legal requirements, such as the FTC CAN-SPAM Act.
This guide reviews general guidelines and common questions, including what to do if you don't have a business name or business address yet.
Note: We recommend speaking with a professional to determine the legal implications for your business.
Add your business name and address
To add your business name and address:
- In the Home Menu, click Commerce, then click Customer notifications.
- Click Header and footer.
- Enter your business name, address, and tax registration ID.
- Click Save.
Your tax registration ID displays on your invoices, and your business name and address display in the header and footer of automatic emails sent from your store. Depending on your template, your business address also displays on your website.
I don't want to share my address
For your business address, you should include a valid physical postal address. If you don't have a business address you feel comfortable sharing (for example, if you work from home), there are a few options.
One option would be to purchase a PO Box, which is a mailbox located within a post office. Since the address of your PO Box is separate from your personal contact information, many people consider this a good investment.
If you aren't able to purchase a PO Box, here are a few options that have worked for other people. For any of these suggestions, ensure you have permission to use the address and receive mail there:
- Creative space - If you're affiliated with a studio, office, or other shared space.
- Gallery or store - If you sell your items somewhere with a physical address.
- Third party - If there's a person, such as an agent or business manager, who represents you professionally.
Note: Avoid using a fake address, as this may violate legal requirements such as the CAN-SPAM act, which could result in penalty fees.
Tip: Ensure you're filling out the Business Address field. The Physical Location field is a separate, optional feature that can display on your website. You can use the same address for both.
My business doesn't have a name
A name helps customers remember your brand and search for you on the web and in their email archives. Although it's best to include a legal business name, you can leave this blank if you don't have one yet.
When you've chosen a business name, add it in Business Information Settings.
Tip: If you're in the United States, the U.S. Small Business Association has suggestions for registering your business name.
Can I add additional information to my emails?
You can create a custom header and footer for your Order emails. This is a great way to add a personal touch and match your emails to your brand.
Email campaigns are fully customizable.
Business address display by template (version 7.0)
If your site is on Squarespace version 7.0, you can automatically display your business address in these template families:
- Adirondack - Can display in the header's information drop-down.
- Aviator - Can display in the header and Info Page.
- Bedford - Can display in the footer.
- Brine - Can display in the footer.
- Forte - Displays in the mobile navigation overlay.
- Montauk - Can display in the header subtitle.
- Pacific - Can display in the footer.
Other contact information may also appear.