You can connect Form Blocks, Newsletter Blocks, and Cover Page forms to the online automation tool Zapier. This lets you create Zaps, a type of automated workflow, to connect Squarespace to over 1,000 apps. Form submissions can trigger additional Zapier integrations like Slack, Trello, ConvertKit, Salesforce, and more. This can help you save time by connecting Squarespace to useful tools and automating processes.
- Zapier has both a free plan and premium plans starting at $20.
- In Squarespace, the Zapier integration is a Premium feature available in Business and Commerce plans.
Note: You can connect Zapier to Form Blocks, Newsletter Blocks, and Cover Page forms. It's not possible to connect Zapier to other forms on your site.
Think of Zapier as the wire that connects your Form or Newsletter Block to another app. Through these connections, Zapier sends Zaps, which are automated workflows made up of a trigger and an action.
After connecting a Form or Newsletter Block to Zapier, you can use new form submissions to trigger actions in other apps or integrations. For example, when a visitor submits a new form, you can have a Zap take an action like:
- Add a Basecamp to-do
- Add a card to Trello
- Add an event to Google Calendar
- Create a Slack notification
- Add a contact to ConvertKit
- Add a contact to Constant Contact
- Add a contact to a Hubspot mailing list
- Add a deal to Salesforce
- Add a lead to Hubspot CRM
- Add a deal to Pipedrive
- Add a lead to Insightly
- Create a Zendesk ticket
For help creating Zaps, visit Zapier's documentation.
Step 1 - Connect a Form Block, Newsletter Block, or Cover Page
To create a form submission trigger in Zapier, you'll need a Form Block, Newsletter Block, or Cover Page.
Form Block or Newsletter Block
- Click Edit or the pencil icon on the Form or Newsletter Block, then click Storage.
- In the Storage tab, click Zapier, then click Connect.
- You should see a message saying Awaiting connection from Zapier.
Cover Page (version 7.0)
Tip: Give your form or Newsletter Block a descriptive name so you can readily identify it in Zapier.
Step 2 - Copy your unique API Key
Your unique API key is a randomized string of characters which permits authenticated access to your Squarespace account. Create a new API key for form integrations using the steps below.
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, then click Advanced.
- Click Developer API Keys.
- Click Generate Key.
- Enter a Key Name.
- Under Permissions, check Forms.
- Select the permissions for the API key.
- Click Next.
- Copy your unique API key.
When you get this key:
- Keep it secure. Treat your API key like you would treat any account password.
- Copy and save it for your records. For security, we don’t store your API key. There’s no way to retrieve it after you close the window, but if you lose it, you can always create a new one.
This key provides Zapier access to all Form and Newsletter Blocks on your site. To connect other sites, repeat these steps and generate a unique key for each site.
Step 3 - Make a Zap
Visit Zapier.com and sign into your account, then follow these steps:
Tip: If you don't have a Zapier account, sign up here.
- Hover over + in the left-side panel and click Make a Zap.
- In the Trigger window, search Squarespace, then click it.
- In the Trigger Event drop-down menu, select New Form Submission, then click Continue.
- Click Sign in to Squarespace.
- In the new window that opens, paste your unique API key in the field. Click Yes, Continue.
- If successful, your Squarespace site title will appear in the Squarespace account drop-down menu. If there are other Squarespace sites connected to your Zapier account, select the site with the form you want to connect.
- Click Continue.
- Select the form you want to connect from the Form drop-down menu and click Continue. If you have a lot of forms on your site, we recommend giving each a unique name to ensure you select the correct one.
- Zapier will ask to test your Squarespace trigger by fetching an existing form submission. Squarespace doesn't store form submissions, so it will automatically generate an example form for testing purposes. Click Test trigger.
- On the We found a form screen, click Continue.
Step 4 - Add an Action in Zapier
To complete your Zap, Zapier will ask you to add an Action step. Zapier offers a wide range of integrations, so you can connect your form submissions to many different actions.
For help with this, visit Zapier's documentation.
- ConvertKit - Add a new subscriber to a sequence in ConvertKit
- Salesforce Leads - Add a new lead to Salesforce so your sales team can engage with prospects without needing adding them to Salesforce manually
- Hubspot Deals - Add a deal in HubSpot CRM so you can begin communication and close the sale
- Slack Notifications - Post a Slack notification to a channel of your choice and help your team stay up-to-date on new submissions
- Trello Cards - Add a new Trello card to help keep track of all incoming form submissions
To view more integrations, visit Zapier's Squarespace documentation.
Storage display after completing the connection
After completing the connection in Zapier, the Storage tab in your Form or Newsletter Block on Squarespace will display the message x Zap(s) connected, where x is the number of Zaps connected to the block. Each Form or Newsletter Block on your site will need at least one Zap per action.