After registering a new domain, you must verify you own it via email. If you don't click the link in the email and verify within 15 days of registration, your domain will be temporarily suspended and won't connect to your site. Older domains might also get suspended if there's an issue sending your annual registration summary email.
In this guide, you'll learn how to check if your domain is suspended and how to fix the issue. After following the steps in this guide to verify and unsuspend your domain, it should connect in about 15 minutes, but sometimes it can take a little longer.
Check if your domain is suspended
If your domain is suspended, it won’t connect to your Squarespace site. You’ll see a red "Suspended" warning below that domain in your Domains panel.
If you don't see this "Suspended" warning but your domain isn't working, it's probably a different issue. Try clearing your browser's cache, disabling any browser extensions, or following our other troubleshooting tips.
Unsuspend your domain
To unsuspend your domain, follow these steps.
Step 1 - Check your email and spam folder
If your domain needs verification, you'll receive an email with a link. Click the link to unsuspend your domain. To check for this email and follow the instructions:
- Check your inbox and spam folder for an email from firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com with the subject line "Please verify your domain name(s) as soon as possible." There's a chance it could have gone to your spam folder.
- If you find the email, click the link in it to complete the verification. If this works, your domain is unsuspended, and you can skip the rest of this guide.
- If the link in the domain verification email doesn’t work or leads to a 404 page, your email provider may be changing the URL when you try to open it. To fix the issue, try viewing your email inbox in another browser or a mobile app, then retry clicking the link. If this works, your domain is unsuspended, and you can skip the rest of this guide.
Step 2 - Double-check the domain's Owner Contact email
If that doesn't work, check that we have the correct email address listed as the domain owner. This email address could be different than the email address you use to log into your site.
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, then click Domains.
- Click the suspended domain.
- Click Registration Information.
- Check that the email address listed under Owner Contact is correct. If you see any typos or errors, click it to edit.
- Click Save.
Step 3 - Resend the verification email
After verifying the Owner Contact email address, click Resend Verification Email.
This sends a new verification email from firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Click the link in the email to verify. If you don’t see any email from this sender in your inbox, check your spam folder.
Step 4 - Try another email address
If you're still having trouble verifying your Squarespace Domain, use a different email address:
- In the suspended domain in the Domains panel, click Registration Information.
- Change the Owner Contact email to another address your can regularly access.
- Click Resend Verification Email, and then click the link in the email when you receive it.
Can someone take my suspended domain?
No, your domain is only released for purchase if it expires and returns to one of our registrars, Squarespace Domains LLC or Tucows.
What happens if I never verify my domain?
Even if you don’t verify your domain, it follows the standard domain cycle. It will renew at the next renewal date, or it will expire if your card on file can’t be charged.
I've had an active domain for over a year, but it was suddenly suspended.
One of our domain registrars, Tucows, sends an annual email to the domain's Owner Contact to confirm that all current contact information is correct. If the Owner Contact's email isn't active, and that email bounces back to Tucows, they assume the email is no longer valid and suspend the domain.
To resolve this, follow the steps above to unsuspend the domain, ensuring that you update the Owner Contact email address.