Squarespace places cookies on visitors’ browsers to help your site run effectively, provide the best experience for your visitors, and help you learn more about traffic to your site.
Certain laws may require website owners to inform their visitors of cookies placed by their website and to receive visitors’ consent to use certain types of cookies. On your site, you can:
- Add a cookie banner to inform visitors about your site's cookies.
- Restrict analytics cookies until they've clicked the confirmation message on your cookie banner.
- Add a cookie banner but disable Squarespace analytics cookies altogether.
- Disable Squarespace analytics cookies without adding a banner.
Note: When a visitor clicks the confirmation message on your banner, they won’t see the message again for 30 days, unless they clear their cookies.
Step 1 - Add the cookie banner
To display a cookie notice banner:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, and then click Cookies & Visitor Data. Check Enable Cookie Banner.
- Add a custom banner message to the text box, or click Use The Default Cookie Message to add our preset message.
- Choose whether to restrict Analytics cookies.
Note: Cookie notice requirements vary depending on your location and cookie use. While we provide sample text you can use, you shouldn’t assume that it satisfies your particular legal requirements.
Step 2 - Style the cookie banner
Use the type, position, theme, and CTA type options to choose how your cookie banner displays.
- Cookie Banner Type - Choose whether the banner displays as a bar or a pop-up window.
- Cookie Banner Position - Choose where the banner displays.
- Cookie Banner Theme - Give the banner a light or dark style.
- Cookie Banner CTA Type - Choose whether the call to action displays as text, a button, or an icon. For text or a button, the text is customizable.
When you're done, click Save.
Note: If your cookie banner bar is set to Top but displaying at the bottom, use the pop-up style instead.
Preview the banner
To preview the banner, log out of your Squarespace account or open your site in Private Browsing or Incognito mode. The banner doesn’t display when you’re logged in.
- Return to the Cookie Banner panel. In the text box, add a link to the new page.
- Click Save.
For more help, visit Sharing policies and terms on your site.
Tip: To hide this page from your navigation menu, add it to the Not Linked section. You can also hide it from search engines.
Restrict Analytics cookies until visitors acknowledge your banner
To prevent Squarespace from sending analytics cookies to visitors until they click the confirmation message on your banner:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, and then click Cookies & Visitor Data.
- Check Enable Cookie Banner to add the banner.
- Check Disable Squarespace Analytics.
- Click Save.
You can also disable all Squarespace Analytics cookies.
Enable or disable the Activity Log to choose whether you receive Activity Log data in Analytics. To learn more, visit Activity Log.