This guide covers frequently asked questions about making style changes and using the Site Styles panel.
For step-by-step instructions for changing your site's styles, visit Making style changes.
Can I revert to previous style changes?
Yes, but only in some cases.
If you're making changes in a panel and haven't clicked Save on the page editor, you can undo any recent changes by clicking the undo icon at the top of the panel or by clicking the dot next to a specific tweak.
After clicking Save in the top left corner of the page editor, all changes are permanent. It’s not possible to revert to a previous version unless you reset to defaults.
To learn more, visit Making style changes.
Tip: On version 7.0, if you switch templates and then switch back to a previously used template, you'll see all style changes as you last left them in that template.
Why can’t I find the font I want to use?
Each font menu displays a curated selection of fonts from Adobe and Google Fonts at the top, sorted by type. Scroll further to browse our full library of 1600 fonts. You can also use the search field at the top of the menu to search for a specific font name.
To learn more, visit Changing fonts.
I changed fonts and my text doesn't look right
This may be a formatting issue in the Text Block that you can fix. If you pasted text from another source, you can accidentally copy over formatting that interferes with your other style settings.
To avoid this, we recommend creating and formatting content directly in Text Blocks whenever possible. To learn more, visit Fixing text formatting.
I'm changing a tweak but nothing's happening
Try clicking Save and refreshing the page. Although most style changes update the preview immediately, in some instances you need to save and refresh. Keep in mind that after you refresh the page you'll have to manually undo your changes, as the undo option won't work.
Can I set different styles for each section or page?
This depends on your site's version.
- On version 7.1, you can style individual sections of your site. You can use the same color themes for a full page of your site to make a page stand out, or use different themes for every section on a page.
- On version 7.0, each style tweak applies site-wide, wherever that element appears. It isn't possible to vary these site-wide tweaks by page without custom code.
How do I go back to my site's original style?
For some style options, you can reset to the site's defaults. It's not possible to reset individual sections in version 7.1 to their default styles.
For detailed steps, visit Starting over.
Can I import or export style tweaks?
Tweaks 2.0 is available on any version 7.0 site you have permission to edit from the account associated with your Circle membership. You don't need to manually install or enable the features.
To see these features, go to the Home Menu, click Design, then click Site Styles. Use the search bar at the top to find specific tweaks, or scroll to the bottom to see the Import and Export buttons.
- Tweaks download as a JSON file.
- Custom modifications to CSS won't be imported.
- We recommend exporting your current tweaks before importing new ones. After clicking Save, there isn't a way to roll back to your previous settings.
For best results, you should only import a tweaks JSON file to a template in the same family as the one the original tweaks came from.
- If you import tweaks from a different template family, only tweaks that have the same name and options will update.
- If you're previewing a template when you export, the exported tweaks are specific to the previewed template.
Note: While troubleshooting Tweaks 2.0 falls outside of the scope of Squarespace support, you can share feedback on Tweaks 2.0 in the Circle Forum.
Why don’t see the change I want to make?
Before opening Site Styles, choose the page you’d like to edit from your Pages panel. This ensures that you see all style options relevant to that page type. This works a little differently depending on your site's version.
- On version 7.1, the Fonts panel only shows options for the page you're currently previewing. All other panels in Site Styles show site-wide tweaks.
- On version 7.0, the Site Styles panel only shows options for the page you're currently previewing. Some tweaks also depend on other tweaks to appear. For example, in the standard Gallery Page, the Aspect Ratio tweak only appears after you've clicked the Gallery Design tweak and selected Grid. If you're unsure, see your template's style tweaks guide.
If you still don’t see the style option you’re looking for, you can make additional style changes using the CSS Editor. We recommend having a good knowledge of CSS before attempting this.
Why is Site Styles different after switching templates? (Version 7.0)
All sites on version 7.1 use the same template, so there's no need to switch templates.
On version 7.0, Site Styles is unique for each template family, as different templates offer different features. When you preview or set a new live template, you’ll only see the style tweaks available in that template. Your fonts, colors, spacing, and other styles will revert to your new template's defaults.
I'm in Site Styles, and I can't edit a page (Version 7.0)
Site editing is disabled when Site Styles is open. To add or remove content, close Site Styles and open the Pages panel.
In addition to our guides, we offer other resources to help you change your site's style:
- Attend a one hour Getting Started with Squarespace 7.1 webinar to learn the basics of setting up your site on version 7.1, including building pages and adjusting site styles.
- Hire a Squarespace Expert to help you customize your site's design. Learn more about the expert services available through Squarespace Marketplace.