You can use clickthrough URLs to turn an image into a link to external pages, internal content, or files.
Clickthrough URLs are available in Image Blocks and Gallery Blocks on any template. Some templates support clickthrough URLs in Gallery Pages.
There are a number of uses for clickthrough URLs. For example:
- Create a portfolio of projects in a Gallery Page and add clickthrough URLs to each client's homepage.
- Display a preview of a document using an Image Block and add a clickthrough URL that opens the document in a .pdf.
- Create a gallery of a fashion collection and add clickthrough URLs to specific product items.
To create an image with a clickthrough URL, you'll add an image to your site, then adjust the image's settings to include a URL in the Clickthrough URL field. When visitors click the image, they'll be taken to the URL or file you specified.
Note: Clickthrough URLs aren't available for Cover Page or Project Page images.
Step 1 - Add an image
Add an image to your site in one of three ways:
- Add an Image Block to a Regular Page. This adds a single image to a page.
- Add a Gallery Block to a Regular Page. You can either upload images directly, or connect with an existing Gallery Page collection.
- Add a Gallery Page to your site if your template supports Gallery Page clickthrough URLs, and upload images to it directly.
Tip: If you're new to Squarespace, visit Gallery Blocks vs. Gallery Pages.
Gallery Block lightboxes
Clickthrough URLs won't work in Grid Gallery Blocks with Lightbox checked in the Design tab. To allow clickthrough URLs, uncheck Lightbox. If you want to keep lightboxes enabled and link images, we recommend adding a text link to the image's description instead.
Step 2 - Open the image settings
Next you'll open the settings window for the image you want to turn into a clickthrough link.
Open the Page Editor. Then hover over the Image Block and click Edit.
If you added images to your Gallery Block directly, open the Page Editor, then hover over the Gallery Block and click Edit. Hover over the image and click the .
If you connected your Gallery Block to a Gallery Page collection, follow the Gallery Page steps below.
In the Home Menu, click Pages. In the Pages panel, click your Gallery Page. Hover over the image and click the .
Step 3 - Find the clickthrough URL field
In image settings, locate the Clickthrough URL field.
- For Gallery Page images, it's in the Options tab.
- For Image Block and Gallery Block images, scroll down within the image editor.
Step 4 - Add the link
Click the Clickthrough URL field to add your link. Choose either Content, Files, or External.
- Content - Link to a page on your site. For collections, such as Products Pages, Blog Pages, and Events Pages, you can link to specific tags or categories.
- Files - Add a file. When visitors click the image, it will take them to the URL for that file.
- External - Link to any page on the web.
Tip: To link to an individual item within a collection, such as a product or blog post, use the External tab with the item's full URL.
For more information, visit Adding links to your site.
Gallery Block options
In a Gallery Block, you can choose to have clickthrough URLs open on the same page, or in a new tab. This option applies to all images in the Gallery Block.
- While editing the page, hover over the Gallery Block and click Edit.
- Click the Design tab.
- Scroll down and check or uncheck Open Links in New Window.
- Click Apply to save your changes.
Templates with Gallery Page clickthrough URLs
The following templates support clickthrough URLs on Gallery Pages. This list groups templates by family.
- Adirondack - Slideshow design only
- Aviator, Aubrey, Encore
- Bedford, Anya, Bryant, Hayden
- Brine, Clay, Feed, Foster, Greenwich, Hatch, Heights, Hunter, Hyde, Jaunt, Juke, Keene, Marta, Mercer, Mojave, Motto, Nueva, Rally, Rover, Sonora, Thorne
- Farro, Haute
- Marquee, Adversary, Alex, Eamon, Shift - Displays clickthroughs as a Read More link in slideshow design if the image has a title and description
- Pacific, Bryler, Charlotte, Fulton, Horizon, Naomi
- Skye, Foundry, Tudor
- Tremont, Carson, Henson
- York, Artesia, Harris, Lange, Jasper, Shibori
Here's a Gallery Page image that links to an external website.
Here's a Gallery Block image that links to a Blog Page and filters to posts with a certain category.
Here's a Regular Page with an Image Block that clicks through to a product. To link to an item within a collection, use the External tab and link to its direct URL.