If you purchased a domain from Register.com and want to keep it registered with them, you can connect it to your site by following this guide. In this process, you'll change a few settings in your Register.com account. After completing these steps, your domain will stay registered with Register.com, but it will connect to your Squarespace site. Before you begin, review our requirements for connecting a third-party domain.
Tip: We recommend transferring your domain to Squarespace instead of connecting it. Here are some reasons why you might want to transfer your domain:
- You can move all aspects of managing it to your Squarespace account so you won't need to pay for it through a third party.
- Your domain could qualify for one free year of hosting.
- Squarespace can help with any issues with your domain directly.
Step 1 - Start the connection in Squarespace
To connect your domain, start in the Domains panel:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, and then click Domains. You can also press the ? key while any panel is open and search domains.
- Click Use a Domain I Own.
- Enter the full domain name you’re connecting in the Domain Name box, and then click Continue.
- Click Connect From Provider.
Note: If you see a message that says "This domain is already connected to another Squarespace site," check your other Squarespace sites to find where the domain is connected. Then disconnect it from that site.
- Select Register.com from the drop-down menu.
- Click Connect Domain.
- In the message that appears, click Okay.
- A new panel will open with the records to create in your Register.com account. Keep this panel open for your reference.
Step 2 - Log into Register.com
Go to www.register.com and log into your account. Click Account Manager and then click Domains. Select Manage.
Click Manage for the domain you want to map to Squarespace.
You'll now copy the records from the Domain panel so your Register.com domain correctly links to your Squarespace site.
Note: Don't delete MX records during this process. MX Records connect your email address, and deleting them could interfere with your email service.
Step 3 - Add the first CNAME
In the first line of your Squarespace DNS Settings, copy the unique code that appears directly below the Host column. The unique code is a random string of numbers and letters that must point to verify.squarespace.com.
In your Register.com account, scroll down to Advanced Technical Settings. Click Edit Domain Aliases Records next to CNAME.
- In the box to left of your domain name, paste the unique code from Host column of the Domains panel.
- In the box to right of points to, enter verify.squarespace.com
Note: If you don't add this CNAME, or if it's entered incorrectly, the domain will unlink from your site after 15 days. If this happens, you can start over to reconnect the domain.
Step 4 - Add the second CNAME
In the second line of your Squarespace DNS Settings, www appears directly below the Host column. This record must point to ext-cust.squarespace.com.
In your Register.com account, create a new record on the second line.
- In the box to left of your domain name, enter www
- In the box to right of points to, enter ext-cust.squarespace.com
Click Continue. You should now have two CNAME records. The first with your unique Host code pointing to verify.squarespace.com, the second with www pointing to ext-cust.squarespace.com.
Note: If you have an existing www CNAME in place, edit this CNAME so that points to is ext-cust.squarespace.com
Step 5 - Add A Records
In the last four lines of your Squarespace DNS Settings, you'll see four IP addresses in the Required Data column. Using the steps below, create four A Records in Register.com matching these values.
Scroll down to Advanced Technical Settings and click Edit IP Address Records.
In the first row, add @ to the left of your custom domain and add 126.96.36.199 to the right of points to.
Repeat this process three more times using the following IP addresses:
You should now have four A records pointing to the following IP addresses:
Note: If you have existing A Records, edit any with Host Name @ so that Points To matches the values above. If you see other A Records in your account that don’t match what’s shown in this guide:
- Host: @ - Delete only if it doesn't match what’s shown in this guide.
- Host: blank - Delete. "Blank" specifies your domain without the www in front.
- Host: Mail or Email - Don’t delete. This connects to your email address. Deleting it could interfere with your email service.
Step 6 - Refresh
After changing your records, return to your Squarespace DNS Settings and click Refresh below the records.
The Current Data column in the panel will start to update and show if your records are entered correctly. It can take up to 72 hours for this information to process.
To go the previous panel, click the Domain Overview arrow in the top-left corner.
Step 7 - Wait and test
If all records are entered correctly, your domain will connect to your site within 24 hours. At times, it can take up to 72 hours. Visit the Domains panel at any time to check your progress.
When the domain is correctly linked, the domain will appear in the Domains panel with a Connected label.
Troubleshoot with the DNS record checker
If we detect that your records weren’t set up properly, your domain will appear in the Domains panel with the message Can’t verify domain ownership.
To troubleshoot, use the DNS checker tool in the Domains panel to see the exact CNAME and A Records to fix with your domain provider.
Click the domain in the Domains panel, and then click DNS Settings. For detailed instructions, visit Checking your domain mapping records.
Getting more help
For more help with settings in your Register.com account, contact their support team at (877) 381-2449. To help them understand your issue, you can use our sample message. You can also visit their documentation.