If you purchased a domain from IWantMyName and want to keep it registered with them, you can connect it to your site by following this guide. In this process, you'll change a few settings in your IWantMyName account. After completing these steps, your domain will stay registered with IWantMyName, but it will connect to your Squarespace site. Before you begin, review our requirements for connecting a third-party domain.
Tip: We recommend transferring your domain to Squarespace instead of connecting it. Here are some reasons why you might want to transfer your domain:
- You can move all aspects of managing it to your Squarespace account so you won't need to pay for it through a third party.
- Your domain could qualify for one free year of hosting.
- Squarespace can help with any issues with your domain directly.
Step 1 - Start the connection in Squarespace
To connect your domain, start in the Domains panel:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, and then click Domains. You can also press the ? key while any panel is open and search domains.
- Click Use a Domain I Own.
- Enter the full domain name you’re connecting in the Domain Name box, and then click Continue.
- Click Connect From Provider.
Note: If you see a message that says "This domain is already connected to another Squarespace site," check your other Squarespace sites to find where the domain is connected. Then disconnect it from that site.
- Select iwantmyname.com from the drop-down menu.
- Click Connect Domain.
- In the message that appears, click Okay.
- A new panel will open with the records to create in your iwantmyname.com account. Keep this panel open for your reference.
Step 2 - Log into iwantmyname.com
To get started in IWantMyName:
- Go to www.iwantmyname.com and log into your account
- Click the domain you want to point to your Squarespace site.
- Click Manage DNS Records.
- You'll now copy the records from the Domain panel so your iwantmyname.com domain correctly links to your Squarespace site.
Note: Don't delete MX records during this process. MX Records connect your email address, and deleting them could interfere with your email service.
Step 3 - Add DNS settings with the built-in preset
- In the top navigation at iwantmyname.com, click Setup, then click Apps & Services in the drop-down menu. You can also use the search field to find Squarespace in their built-in DNS presets list.
- Click the Squarespace logo.
- Click Add Squarespace.
Step 4 - Add a subdomain
Your iwantmyname.com account requires that you verify your Squarespace site by adding a unique code from your Domains panel. Click Create a subdomain for Squarespace.
In the first line of your Squarespace DNS Settings, copy the unique code that appears directly below the Host column. The unique code is a random string of numbers and letters. You don't need to copy the required data (verify.squarespace.com), as iwantmyname.com adds this for you automatically.
Your domain records may be green or red, depending on what Squarespace is seeing from your domain provider.
In your iwantmyname.com account, paste the unique code in the Unique verification code field, then click Install Squarespace.
Note: If you don't add this verification code, or if it's entered incorrectly, the domain will unlink from your site after 15 days. If this happens, you can start over to reconnect the domain.
You'll see a prompt notifying you that the setup for Squarespace has started. The process may take a few minutes to complete.
Note: You don't need to add your domain to your Squarespace account, since you did that in the first step of this guide.
Step 5 - Refresh
After changing your records, return to your Squarespace DNS Settings and click Refresh below the records.
The Current Data column in the panel will start to update and show if your records are entered correctly. It can take up to 72 hours for this information to process.
To go the previous panel, click the arrow in the top-left corner.
Step 6 - Wait and test
If all records are entered correctly, your domain will connect to your site within 24 hours. At times, it can take up to 72 hours. Visit the Domains panel at any time to check your progress.
When the domain is correctly linked, the domain will appear in the Domains panel with a Connected label.
Troubleshoot with the DNS record checker
If we detect that your records weren’t set up properly, your domain will appear in the Domains panel with the message Can’t verify domain ownership.
To troubleshoot, use the DNS checker tool in the Domains panel to see the exact CNAME and A Records to fix with your domain provider.
Click the domain in the Domains panel, and then click DNS Settings. For detailed instructions, visit Checking your domain mapping records.