If you purchased a domain from Enom and want to keep it registered with them, you can connect it to your site by following this guide. In this process, you'll change a few settings in your Enom account. After completing these steps, your domain will stay registered with Enom, but it will connect to your Squarespace site. Before you begin, review our requirements for connecting a third-party domain.
Step 1 - Start the connection in Squarespace
To connect your domain, start in the Domains panel:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, and then click Domains. You can also press the ? key while any panel is open and search domains.
- Click Use a Domain I Own.
- Enter the full domain name you’re connecting in the Domain Name box, and then click Continue.
- Click Connect From Provider.
Note: If you see a message that says "This domain is already connected to another Squarespace site," check your other Squarespace sites to find where the domain is connected. Then disconnect it from that site.
- Select Enom from the drop-down menu.
- Click Connect Domain.
- In the message that appears, click Okay.
- A new panel will open with the records to create in your Enom account. Keep this panel open for your reference.
Step 2 - Log into Enom
Go to www.enom.com and log into your account.
Click Registered in the Domains section.
Click Host Records on the following page.
You'll now copy the records from the Domains panel so your Enom domain correctly links to your Squarespace site.
Note: Don't delete MX records during this process. MX Records connect your email address, and deleting them could interfere with your email service.
Step 3 - Add the first CNAME
In the first line of your Squarespace DNS Settings, copy the unique code that appears directly below the Host column. The unique code is a random string of numbers and letters that must point to verify.squarespace.com.
Edit the first CNAME Record by following these steps:
- Ensure CNAME (Alias) is selected from the Record Type drop-down menu.
- In the Host Name box, copy and paste the unique code that appears directly below the Host column in your Domains panel. The unique code is a random string of numbers and letters.
- In the Address box, Enter verify.squarespace.com
You should now have a CNAME with your unique Host code pointing to verify.squarespace.com.
Note: If you don't add this CNAME, or if it's entered incorrectly, the domain will unlink from your site after 15 days. If this happens, you can start over to reconnect the domain.
Step 4 - Add the second CNAME
In the second line of your Squarespace DNS Settings, www appears directly below the Host column. This record must point to ext-cust.squarespace.com.
On a new line, copy these records from the Domains panel:
- In the Host Name box, enter www
- Select CNAME (Alias) from the Record Type drop-down menu.
- In the Address box, enter ext-cust.squarespace.com
Note: If you have an existing CNAME with Host Name www, edit this CNAME so the Address is ext-cust.squarespace.com
You should now have a CNAME with www pointing to ext-cust.squarespace.com.
Step 5 - Add A Records
In the last four lines of your Squarespace DNS Settings, you'll see four IP addresses in the Required Data column. Using the steps below, create four A Records in Enom matching these values.
Find the record with @ (none) in its Host Name field.
- Next to @ (none), ensure A (Address) is selected In the Record Type drop-down menu.
- In the Address box, enter 184.108.40.206
Repeat this process three more times using the following values:
You should now have four A records pointing to the following IP addresses:
Note: If you have existing A Records, edit any with Host Name @ so that Points To matches the values above. If you see other A Records in your account that don’t match what’s shown in this guide:
- Host: @ - Delete only if it doesn't match what’s shown in this guide.
- Host: blank - Delete. "Blank" specifies your domain without the www in front.
- Host: Mail or Email - Don’t delete. This connects to your email address. Deleting it could interfere with your email service.
Step 6 - Wait for the connection to complete
Congratulations, you've finished connecting the domain!
It can take 24 to 72 hours for the connection to start working properly. While you wait:
- You can return to your Squarespace DNS Settings, click Refresh below the records, and the Current Data column will start to show if your records are entered correctly. When the domain is correctly linked, it will appear in the Domains panel with a Connected label.
- It’s normal to see errors in the Domains panel or when visiting your domain for up to 72 hours after completing the steps in this guide. If you see any error messages after 72 hours has passed, see the next section.
Troubleshoot with the DNS record checker
If we detect that your records weren’t set up properly, your domain will appear in the Domains panel with the message Can’t verify domain ownership.
To troubleshoot, use the DNS checker tool in the Domains panel to see the exact CNAME and A Records to fix with your domain provider.
Click the domain in the Domains panel, and then click DNS Settings. For detailed instructions, visit Checking your domain mapping records.