Sell physical goods such as furniture, fashion, decor, books, plants, and more.
Physical products are merchandise, apparel, and other physical goods you sell to customers.
If you sell physical products, you'll need to add at least one shipping or local pickup option to your store. You can add tracking numbers to email notifications so customers can track their shipments.
You can sell a physical product as a one-time purchase, or as a subscription that automatically renews. To create a subscription, visit Subscription products.
Tip: For ebooks, .mp3s, and other downloads, visit Download products. For events, classes, and services, visit Service products.
Commerce is a premium feature available in Business, Commerce, Professional, and Premium plans.
Step 1 - Choose the product type
When adding a new product, click Physical.
Step 2 - Edit the product information
Use the Name, Description, and Image fields to add information for your product.
Click Add images or drag and drop images from a folder on your computer to add images for the product. You can add multiple images.
Note: Multiple images will display as thumbnails. To add a unique image for each variant, visit Adding basic product variants.
Step 3 - Set pricing and stock levels
Under Pricing and Inventory, set the product's regular price, sale price, quantity, and SKU. To enable a sale, switch the toggle on beside On Sale. To give the product an unlimited quantity, switch the toggle on beside Unlimited quantity.
Step 4 - Add product variants
Variants are used to create additional options for a product, like different colors, sizes, or designs. To add variants, scroll to Variations and click Add. For detailed steps visit Adding product variants.
After adding product options and variants, return to the main product editor and click Edit all to customize:
- Image - Add a variant image, which will display when customers select the variant from the drop-down menu on the product details page.
- SKU - This is the inventory identifier for your product. Squarespace creates one automatically, but you can change it to a SKU that matches your inventory scheme. SKUs must be 20 characters or fewer.
- Units - The number of units available with an option to set an Unlimited stock value.
- Price - Set the price customers will pay for the product with additional options for sale pricing.
- Sale price - Set the price customers will pay when then product is on sale.
Step 5 - Add tags and categories
Scroll down to Organization and click Add beneath Categories and Tags to organize your products with tags and categories.
Adding categories to your products automatically creates category navigation on your store pages. The style of this navigation varies by template. To learn more, visit Organizing products.
- Tags must be 80 characters or fewer.
- Categories must be 25 characters or fewer.
- Tags and categories are case-sensitive. For example, entering Apples, apples, and APPLES creates three tags or categories.
- Tags and categories appear in alphabetical order.
Step 6 - Add product weights and dimensions (optional)
Set weight and dimensions for a product to ship using carrier calculated shipping and depending on weight shipping in the Advanced shipping section. You can set the weight and dimensions for each variant.
When adding product weights and dimensions, you'll see an error if your product is larger or heavier than your shipping carrier's package size limits. To resolve this, see Selling large or heavy products.
Step 7 - Create a subscription (optional)
If you're eligible, you can sell the product on a recurring basis. Click Subscription and customize the subscription renewal details. Customers who buy subscription products save their billing and shipping information, and are charged automatically when their subscription renews. To learn more, visit Subscription products.
Step 8 - Add an SEO description (optional)
Scroll down to Marketing and click Edit to add SEO descriptions to your products. This helps search engines properly index your products, making it easier for people to find your content online.
Step 9 - Save
Hover over Save and click Publish to publish the product to your store page. This sets the product as available for purchase.
To save the product to your store but keep it hidden and unavailable for purchase, click Save.
To schedule the product to publish to your live store later, click Schedule.
Shipping or pickup
Note: Shipping methods can't be assigned to specific products at this time.
Beyond the basics, you can add more to your product for further customization, including detailed descriptions, a custom form, images, and custom buttons. To learn more, visit Adding additional information to products.
After creating a new product, you can:
- Use Squarespace's marketing tools to draw customers in and encourage purchasing.
- Promote your new products with Squarespace Email Campaigns. You can build mailing lists or create automated email campaigns to send marketing emails to customers after they make a purchase.
- Share your products with followers and attract new customers by selling your products on Facebook and Instagram.
- Register for our Design tips to increase your store’s sales webinar where we’ll present tools and tips that you can use to help make your products stand out across your site and drive sales.