If a contributor doesn't need access to your site or if they leave your organization, you might want to remove their contributor profile. This blocks them from logging in and making any changes.
When you remove a contributor, you'll transfer ownership of their content to a different contributor.
If someone may need access later (like a designer who built your site), you can remove their permissions instead.
Before you begin
- If you're transferring ownership of your site to another person, visit Changing site ownership.
- Only site Owners and Administrators can remove a contributor. Contributors, including Administrators, can't remove their own permissions.
- Removing a contributor can't be undone, but you can invite the same email address to contribute to your site again.
Remove a contributor
To remove a contributor, or at minimum, remove all of their permissions, follow these steps:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, and then click Permissions.
- Click the contributor's profile.
- Scroll down and click Remove Access to remove all of their permissions.
- The contributor moves to the Contributors Without Permissions section. If they may need access later, you can leave them in this section and stop here. To remove them completely, continue to the next step.
- In the Contributors Without Permissions section, click the contributor's name.
- Click Remove Contributor.
- In the drop-down menu in the window that appears, select a replacement contributor. This ensures that all content they contributed - for example, blog posts or galleries - has a new author listed in their place.
Tip: To add a new name to this menu, click Cancel, add a new contributor or basic author, and then restart this process.
- Click Transfer and Remove.