Once you've created your site and added your content, you can take these next steps to make your site an engaging experience that attracts an audience. The series below will help you present content visually, create a blog, promote your content, optimize your site for search engines, and use custom code for advanced modifications.
If you're new to Squarespace and haven't watched our Getting Started with Squarespace video series, we recommend starting there first.
1. Creating an engaging layout
Beyond adding content, you'll want to build your site with an eye-catching layout that engages your audience. This video shows how to build a beautiful site with image-focused templates, Index Pages, and Cover Pages.
- Preview a template (0:25)
- Build an eye-catching Index (1:04)
- Use Getty Images (1:30)
- Create a Cover Page (1:55)
- Properly format images (2:25)
- Style the homepage (3:00)
2. Creating & sharing content
Creating a blog with regularly updated content is a great way to increase traffic to your site. This video covers creating a blog, sharing posts on social media, and promoting your content across your site.
- Import blog content (0:20)
- Create a blog (0:35)
- Add meta data (0:55)
- Promote recent content (1:30)
- Display an archive (2:40)
- Make an announcement (3:05)
3. Your site's footprint and usage
By defining your site's purpose and using keywords in a natural way, you can help search engines present your site to visitors interested in your content. This video covers best practices for search engines and reviewing your site's analytics.
- Optimize for search (0:10)
- Define your site (0:30)
- Edit site descriptions (0:55)
- Set title formats (1:20)
- Add page descriptions (1:45)
- Review metrics (2:00)
- Check activity log (3:40)
4. Advanced customizations & adding custom code
If you're an experienced website builder, you can use custom code to add additional modifications to your site. Watch this video to learn more about our Developer platform and the different ways to implement code.
- Integrate with Google Analytics (0:20)
- Enable Universal Analytics (0:40)
- Embed code on a page (1:10)
- Use custom CSS (2:10)
- Manage custom files (2:50)
5. Moving forward
Once you've completed this series, visit these guides to learn more about...
- Starting a Squarespace trial site
- Logging into your site
- Making style changes
- Is my site live?
- Displaying social icons
- Switching templates
- Upgrading to paid service
- Squarespace domains
- Connecting a domain
- Creating a contact page