Hover effects display information or create movement when you move your cursor over an image. This adds a subtle level of interaction and animation to your site and can be a great way to reveal titles and captions without obscuring an image or taking up extra space on a page.
You can use hover effects on any template with Image Blocks and Slideshow Gallery Blocks. Certain templates support hover effects for Gallery Pages, Index Pages, and Products Pages. This guide explains each area in detail.
Hover effects in Image Blocks
You can show an image caption on hover in Image Blocks.
- Add a new Image Block or open an existing one.
- In the Edit Image window, select Caption Overlay on Hover from the drop-down menu.
- Click Apply to close the window.
- Hover over the Image Block. In the black caption overlay that appears, click Write here... and enter your caption.
- After saving the page, the caption will appear on hover. Use Style Editor tweaks to style the image caption.
Hover effects in Gallery Blocks
You can show image titles and descriptions on hover in a Slideshow Gallery Block.
- Hover effects are only available in the Slideshow Gallery Block design.
- Titles and descriptions won't display on mobile devices narrower than 480 pixels.
- Captions set to appear on hover may appear on larger devices, such as tablets, or for smaller devices in landscape mode. The captions will either always display, or appear on tap. This depends on the mobile device.
- To learn more about Gallery Blocks, visit Using Gallery Blocks.
Step 1 - Add a title and description
- Add a new Slideshow Gallery Block or open an existing one.
- In the Edit Gallery window, hover over an image and click the .
- Enter a title and description.
- Click Apply.
Step 2 - Select the hover effect
- Click the Design tab.
- Check Show Title and Description and Show on Hover.
- Select a position from the Title and Description Position drop-down menu.
- Click Apply.
Hover effects in Gallery Pages
Some templates support hover effects for Gallery Pages. You can enable and adjust these effects using the Style Editor.
The following templates display captions and titles on hover for Slideshow and Grid designs only. Templates are grouped by family.
- Aviator, Aubrey, Encore
- Bedford, Anya, Bryant, Hayden
- Brine, Aria, Basil, Burke, Cacao, Clay, Ethan, Fairfield, Feed, Foster, Greenwich, Hatch, Heights, Hunter, Hyde, Jaunt, Juke, Keene, Lincoln, Maple, Margot, Marta, Mentor, Mercer, Miller, Mojave, Moksha, Motto, Nueva, Polaris, Rally, Rover, Sofia, Sonny, Sonora, Thorne, Wav, West
- Farro, Haute
- Marquee, Adversary, Alex, Eamon, Ginger, Mint, Shift (discontinued)
- Pacific, Charlotte, Fulton, Horizon, Naomi
- Skye, Foundry, Indigo, Ready, Tudor
- York, Artesia, Flores, Harris, Jasper, Jones, Lange, Shibori
To add titles and descriptions to a Gallery Page image, hover over the image and click the that appears.
Enable and customize the hover effect
While on the Gallery Page, open the Style Editor and scroll down to Gallery Styles. Click Gallery Design: and select Slideshow or Grid.
- Slideshow - Select Show on Hover from the Gallery Info Overlay drop-down menu. Titles and description will display on hover.
- Grid - Titles and descriptions will appear on hover in lightbox, unless a clickthrough URL is set for the image. For more on lightbox, visit Setting images to open in lightbox.
Other Gallery Page effects by template
- Forte - Hovering over the Gallery Page's carousel displays navigation arrows. Hovering over a caption slides the caption up so you can read longer descriptions.
- Momentum - Arrow navigation on hover when fullscreen.
- Tremont, Camino, Carson, Henson - Display captions on hover.
- Wexley - Hovering over images in a Gallery Page displays the image title and a color overlay.
Hover effects in Index Pages
Some templates support hover effects for Index Pages.
- Avenue - Hovering over a thumbnail changes its opacity. Change the opacity degree using the Thumbnail Hover Opacity tweak in the Style Editor. Set Index Thumb Title Position to Overlay to display the page's Navigation Title on hover.
- Flatiron - Hovering over a thumbnail zooms and pans in on the image. Enable or disable the effects using the Project Hover Zoom and Project Hover Panning tweaks in the Style editor.
- Montauk, Julia, Kent, Om - Hovering over a thumbnail changes its opacity. Change the opacity degree using the Thumbnail Hover Opacity tweak in the Style Editor.
- Tremont - Hovering over a page title in the Index navigation causes the page's thumbnail to appear as a background image.
Hover effects on Products Pages
The following templates have special hover effects on Products Pages. Templates are grouped by family.
Tip: For more information, visit Product hover effects.
||Display a secondary image and alternate between price and product title. Also supports a Quick View button.|
||Display a secondary image, product details, or a fade effect. Also supports a Quick View button.|
||Display product names and prices over a color overlay on hover.|