Mailchimp is an email marketing service you can use to design and send email campaigns and newsletters. Through our integration, you can collect email addresses and grow your subscriber list through any form on your site. You can also add an email subscribe option to your blog.
If you're having trouble, visit Troubleshooting Mailchimp issues.
Tip: As an alternative, use Squarespace Email Campaigns to send emails directly from your site.
Watch a video
Set up domain authentication in Mailchimp (custom domains only)
If you're sending your Mailchimp newsletter from an email address connected to a custom domain, set up your own DKIM and SPF authentication in Mailchimp. If you skip this step, your email campaigns are more likely to be marked as spam and new subscribers may not be added to your audience.
Step 1 - Create CNAME and TXT records in Squarespace
To authenticate your domain, open Advanced DNS Settings and create the following records:
- Choose CNAME from the Record drop-down.
- In the Host field, enter k1._domainkey
- In the Data field, enter dkim.mcsv.net (Don't use MailChimp's recommended CNAME, k1._domainkey.yoursite.com, as the authentication will fail).
- Choose TXT from the Record drop-down.
- In the Host field, enter @
- In the Data field, enter v=spf1 include:servers.mcsv.net ?all
Tip: For help authenticating a third-party domain, contact your domain provider.
Step 2 - Follow authentication steps in Mailchimp
Using the records you created in Squarespace, follow Mailchimp's documentation to complete the authentication process.
Connect a Form Block or Newsletter Block
You can use Mailchimp as a storage option in the Form Block and the Newsletter Block. This adds form submissions to an audience (formerly called a list) in your Mailchimp account.
When using Mailchimp in a Form Block or Newsletter Block, keep the following in mind:
- If any fields other than Email are checked as required in your Mailchimp audience settings, form submissions won't collect in Mailchimp. To resolve the issue, uncheck them as Required in Mailchimp. You can then create required fields using the option in the Form Block.
- To use Mailchimp as a storage option, it will need to connect to a new, empty Mailchimp audience. Form Blocks and Newsletter Blocks can't be used with existing Mailchimp audiencess.
- If you edit any form fields after connecting to Mailchimp, create and link a new Mailchimp audience. If your Form Block fields and Mailchimp audience fields become mismatched, this may cause issues with submissions passing to Mailchimp.
- To connect multiple Form or Newsletter Blocks to the same Mailchimp audience, keep the form fields and settings exactly the same between the blocks. Any differences can cause form submissions to be dropped/rejected by Mailchimp.
- Per Mailchimp's policy, audiences can't exceed 30 data fields. If the Form Block has more than 30 Form Fields, edit the Form Block and remove some fields.
To connect a Form or Newsletter Block to Mailchimp:
- Select Mailchimp as the storage option.
- In the Form Block editor, click the Storage tab, then click Mailchimp.
- In the Newsletter Block editor, click the Storage tab, click Connect other services and then click Mailchimp.
Here's how this looks in a Form Block:
- Log into MailChimp.
- Select a Mailchimp audience for form submissions from the drop-down menu.
You can also connect a Cover Page form to Mailchimp in the Action panel.
Add a newsletter pop-up
You can create a pop-up that appears when visitors land on your site to collect email addresses in Mailchimp. To learn more, visit Creating a Promotional Pop-Up.
Ask customers to subscribe at checkout
If you use Commerce, you can add a Join our mailing list checklist to your checkout page. To learn more, visit Adding a newsletter subscribe option to checkout.
Create an email newsletter from your blog
You can use Mailchimp's RSS-to-Email campaign feature to automatically email subscribers when you add new content to your RSS feed. The email includes a digest of your blog post with images and post text or excerpts.
To learn more, visit Adding email subscriptions to your blog.
Connect a Cover Page form to Mailchimp
To build a mailing list on a landing page, create a Cover Page, add a form to it in the Action panel, and connect it to Mailchimp. To learn more, visit Cover Pages.
Decide if visitors have to confirm their subscription (double opt-in)
Mailchimp's double opt-in process asks visitors to confirm their audience subscriptions via email. After they confirm, their contact information is added to your Mailchimp audience.
Double opt-in is enabled by default on all forms that connect to Mailchimp. It helps you reduce spam and ensures that the people on your list are receptive to your content.
If you live in the EU, you might want to keep this setting checked to comply with local regulations.
To disable double opt-in:
- Open the form's editor.
- For Form and Newsletter Blocks, click the Storage tab.
- Under Mailchimp, uncheck Require double opt-in after subscribing.
Note: This guide is available as a resource, but should not be construed or relied upon in any way as legal advice. Per our Terms of Service, Squarespace doesn't provide advice or recommendations on any laws or requirements applicable to your site or business.
Connect multiple blocks to Mailchimp
Connecting multiple Form Blocks to a single Mailchimp audience can cause several issues, including dropped form submission data and disconnection from Mailchimp. We recommend using a separate Mailchimp audience for each Form or Newsletter Block on your site when possible.
If you choose to connect multiple blocks to a single Mailchimp audince, each block must be absolutely identical. Any discrepancies between type, name, or arrangement of fields between blocks will create errors.
To fix issues with multiple blocks connected to a Mailchimp audience:
- Reset the Mailchimp connection for each block.
- Check each block to confirm all fields are identical.
- Reconnect Mailchimp in the Storage tab.
Measure site traffic from Mailchimp
Traffic Sources Analytics shows where visitors come from on the web. When using Mailchimp for marketing, you can check to see how many visitors Mailchimp brings in through campaigns and forms, and how specific sources compare to one another.