Grow your subscriber list, send newsletters, and sync information from your online store.
Mailchimp is a third-party email marketing service you can use to design and send email campaigns and newsletters. There are many ways to use Mailchimp with your Squarespace site. You can:
- Use our Mailchimp integration to collect email addresses and grow your subscriber list by adding forms to your site.
- Market your site by adding newsletter pop-ups, have customers sign up for your newsletter during checkout, or create newsletters from your blog posts.
- Sync your Squarespace orders, products, and customer information with your Mailchimp account by connecting our Mailchimp extension.
If you're having trouble, visit Troubleshooting Mailchimp issues.
Tip: As an alternative, use Squarespace Email Campaigns to send emails directly from your site.
The Mailchimp integration, a premium feature, and the Mailchimp extension, are available in Business and Commerce plans.
Watch a video
Set up domain authentication in Mailchimp (custom domains only)
If you're sending your Mailchimp newsletter from an email address connected to a custom domain, set up email domain authentication in Mailchimp. If you skip this step, your email campaigns are more likely to be marked as spam and new subscribers may not be added to your audience.
Step 1 - Create CNAME records in Squarespace
To authenticate your domain, open DNS settings and create the following custom CNAME records:
First CNAME record:
- Choose CNAME from the Type drop-down
- In the Host field, enter k2._domainkey (Don't use Mailchimp's recommended CNAME, k2._domainkey.example.com, as the authentication will fail)
- In the Data field, enter dkim2.mcsv.net
Second CNAME record:
- Choose CNAME from the Type drop-down
- In the Host field, enter k3._domainkey (Don't use Mailchimp's recommended CNAME, k3._domainkey.example.com, as the authentication will fail)
- In the Data field, enter dkim3.mcsv.net
Tip: For help authenticating a third-party domain, contact your domain provider.
Step 2 - Follow authentication steps in Mailchimp
Using the records you created in Squarespace, follow Mailchimp's documentation to complete the authentication process. Keep in mind, it can take some time for new CNAME records to propagate, so Mailchimp may not be able to authenticate immediately.
Connect a form block or newsletter block
You can use Mailchimp as a storage option in the form block and the newsletter block. This adds form submissions to an audience (formerly called a list) in your Mailchimp account.
When using Mailchimp in a form block or newsletter block, keep the following in mind:
- If any fields other than Email are checked as required in your Mailchimp audience settings, form submissions won't collect in Mailchimp. To resolve the issue, uncheck them as Required in Mailchimp. You can then create required fields using the option in the form block.
- To use Mailchimp as a storage option, we recommend connecting to a new, empty Mailchimp audience. To connect multiple form or newsletter blocks to the same Mailchimp audience, keep the form fields and settings exactly the same between the blocks. Any differences can cause form submissions to be dropped/rejected by Mailchimp.
- If you edit any form fields after connecting to Mailchimp, create and link a new Mailchimp audience. If your form block fields and Mailchimp audience fields become mismatched, this may cause issues with submissions passing to Mailchimp.
- Per Mailchimp's policy, audiences can't exceed 30 data fields. If the form block has more than 30 form fields, edit the form block and remove some fields.
- Mailchimp limits audience field values to 255 characters. If you expect to exceed that limit, we recommend connecting an additional storage option.
To connect a form or newsletter block to Mailchimp:
- Click Storage in the block editor, then click Connect next to Mailchimp.
- Log into Mailchimp.
- Select a Mailchimp audience for form submissions.
For more information, visit Managing form and newsletter storage.
Add a newsletter pop-up
You can create a pop-up that appears when visitors land on your site to collect email addresses in Mailchimp. To learn more, visit Creating a promotional pop-up.
Ask customers to subscribe at checkout
If you use Commerce, you can add a Join our mailing list field to your checkout page. To learn more, visit Adding a newsletter subscribe option to checkout.
Create an email newsletter from your blog
You can use Mailchimp's RSS-to-Email campaign feature to automatically email subscribers when you add new content to your RSS feed. The email includes a digest of your blog post with images and post text or excerpts.
To learn more, visit Adding email subscriptions to your blog.
Sync your Commerce store with Mailchimp
You can sync your Squarespace products, orders, and customer information to your Mailchimp account by connecting the Mailchimp extension. This extension is ideal if you sell products on Squarespace and use Mailchimp for email marketing.
While we work with third-party services to ensure Squarespace Extensions work properly, extensions fall outside our scope of support. We can help with connecting or disconnecting your extensions. For all other questions, contact the extensions provider directly or visit Mailchimp's documentation.
Decide if visitors have to confirm their subscription (double opt-in)
Mailchimp's double opt-in process asks visitors to confirm their audience subscriptions via email. After they confirm, their contact information is added to your Mailchimp audience.
Double opt-in is enabled by default on all forms that connect to Mailchimp. It helps you reduce spam and ensures that the people on your list are receptive to your content.
If you live in the EU, you might want to keep this setting checked to comply with local regulations.
To disable double opt-in:
- Open the form's editor.
- For form and newsletter blocks, click the Storage tab, then click Mailchimp.
- Switch the Require double opt-in toggle off.
Note: This guide is available as a resource, but should not be construed or relied upon in any way as legal advice. Per our Terms of Service, Squarespace doesn't provide advice or recommendations on any laws or requirements applicable to your site or business.
Connect multiple blocks to Mailchimp
Connecting multiple forms to a single Mailchimp audience can cause several issues, including dropped form submission data and disconnection from Mailchimp. We recommend using a separate Mailchimp audience for each form or newsletter block on your site when possible.
If you choose to connect multiple blocks to a single Mailchimp audience, each block must be absolutely identical. Any discrepancies between type, name, or arrangement of fields between blocks will create errors.
To fix issues with multiple blocks connected to a Mailchimp audience:
- Reset the Mailchimp connection for each block.
- Check each block to confirm all fields are identical.
- Reconnect Mailchimp in the Storage tab.
Connect multiple Mailchimp accounts
While you can only connect one Mailchimp audience per storage area of form blocks or newsletter blocks, you can connect multiple Mailchimp accounts to different forms throughout your site.
For example, one newsletter block can connect to an audience in one Mailchimp account, and another newsletter block can connect to an audience in a different Mailchimp account. This doesn't cause conflicts the way connecting to the same audience does because each form storage works independently of other forms.
Measure site traffic from Mailchimp
Traffic sources analytics shows where visitors come from on the web. When using Mailchimp for marketing, you can learn how many visitors Mailchimp brings in through campaigns and forms, and how specific sources compare to one another.
Keep in mind, traffic analytics shows visitors brought to your site by any Mailchimp campaign, not only yours. For example, if a friend promotes your site in their own Mailchimp campaign, traffic sources analytics records visitors who clicked through that campaign to your site, too.
Connect a cover page form (version 7.0 only)
To build a mailing list on a cover page, add a form in the action panel and connect it to Mailchimp. To learn more, visit Cover pages in version 7.0.