Use folders to create drop-down navigation menus (also known as nested pages or sub-menus) on your site.
Watch a video
Add a folder
To add a folder:
- In the Home Menu, click Pages, then click the + icon.
- Select Folder.
- The empty folder will appear in the Pages panel. Enter a name for the folder to display in the navigation.
Add pages to the folder
Folders aren't pages and it's not possible to add content directly to them. Instead, when you add pages to a folder, they appear as drop-down menu items.
To add an existing page to the folder, drag and drop it into the space below the folder. To add a new page to the folder, click Add Page below the folder. To change the order of the pages, drag and drop them within the folder.
It's not possible to nest folders within folders.
You can add any type of page to a folder except an Index Page. To direct visitors to an Index Page, choose Link, click Click to add URL, and use the Content tab to point the link to your Index Page. For more information about configuring links, visit Adding links to your site.
How your folder displays depends on your site's version.
On version 7.1 sites:
- The folder's pages appear when you hover over the folder name.
- Clicking the folder title doesn't open the first page.
- The folder is collapsed on mobile and opens when tapped.
For version 7.0-specific information, see Folder display by template.
On version 7.1 sites, the folder background matches the Section Background tweak in the Sitewide section of the selected color theme.
To change this:
- In the Home Menu, click Design, then click Colors.
- Click the pencil icon on the color theme your site header uses.
- Change the Section Background. This changes the background color for all sections that use this theme.
- Click Colors to return to the colors panel, then click Save.
For a list of the version 7.0 tweaks that set this color, see Folder display by template.
Delete the folder
If you delete a folder, its pages will also be deleted.
To delete a folder:
- Hover over the folder in the Pages panel and click the trash can icon
- Click Delete to confirm.
- Tap the Pages icon.
- Swipe left on the title of the folder you want to delete.
- Tap Delete.
Tip: You can restore the pages within 30 days.
Product category nested menus (version 7.1)
Product categories create a separate navigation at the top of your store.
Products Pages in version 7.0 have a category navigation, but it's not possible to display nested subcategories.