Use Markdown Blocks to add text to your site with the Markdown language. Markdown Blocks support lists, links, bolded and italicized text, and block quotes.
Note: Markdown language is an advanced modification that falls out of the scope of Squarespace support. We can help with adding a Markdown Block to your site, but not further set up or troubleshooting of Markdown language.
Before you begin
- Visit our Markdown cheat sheet for syntax tips.
- Markdown Blocks don't support multimarkdown.
Watch a video
Add a Markdown Block
To add a Markdown Block:
- Edit a page or post, click an insert point, and select Markdown from the menu. For help, visit Adding content with blocks.
- Add Markdown text in the Markdown box.
- You can highlight your Markdown text and use the toolbar to bold or italicize text, create links, use headings, add block quotes, or make lists.
- Click Apply to save your changes.
- Tap the Pages icon.
- Tap the title of the page you want to edit.
- Tap Edit or the pencil icon in the top-right corner.
- Tap the + icon in the top-right corner to open the block menu.
- Tap Markdown to add a Markdown Block.
- At the bottom of your screen, tap below Preview and Markdown to open the empty Markdown box.
- Enter your Markdown text. The Preview tab displays the text as it will render on your site. Tap the Markdown tab to see the formatting.
- Tap Done or ✓ to save your changes.
Use Markdown as your default editor
You can change the default blocks that appear in pages and posts to Markdown Blocks instead of Text Blocks:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, then click Advanced.
- Click Default Text Editor.
- Check Markdown Editor, then click Save.
My cursor isn't lined up with the text
While editing the Markdown Block, the cursor may sometimes not align with the text. This can occur when first opening the block for editing and clicking into the Markdown box.
To realign the cursor with your text:
- Click into the Markdown box.
- Press Enter.