If you purchased a domain from Name.com and want to keep it registered with them, you can connect it to your site by following this guide. You may also find Name.com's guide helpful as you work on the connection.
Before you begin, review our requirements for connecting a third-party domain.
Note: If you purchased a domain from Dyn or Oracle, Name.com is now your domain host. The steps in this guide will help you connect your domain using Name.com's system.
Step 1 - Start the connection in Squarespace
To connect your domain, start in the Domains panel:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, then click Domains. You can also press the ? key while any panel is open and search domains.
- Click Use a Domain I Own.
- Enter the full domain name you’re connecting in the Domain Name field, and then click Continue.
- Click Connect From Provider.
Note: If you see a message that says "This domain is already connected to another Squarespace site," check your other Squarespace sites to find where the domain is connected. Then disconnect it from that site.
- Select Name.com from the drop-down menu.
- Click Connect Domain.
- In the message that appears, click Okay.
- A new panel will open with the records to create in your Name.com account. Keep this panel open for your reference.
Step 2 - Log into Name.com
Go to www.name.com and log into your account. Under My Domains, click your domain name.
Then click DNS Records.
Step 3 - Add Squarespace DNS Template
Click DNS Templates to load Name.com's available preset records.
Choose Squarespace.com from the Preset DNS Templates drop-down.
This will automatically load the Squarespace records required to connect your domain. You'll only need to add a verification key to complete the connection.
Step 4 - Add verification key
In the first line of your Squarespace DNS Settings, copy the unique code that appears directly below the Host column. The unique code is a random string of numbers and letters that Name.com uses to verify the Squarespace site you're connecting to.
In your Name.com account, paste this into the Verification Key field, then click Confirm to save the changes.
Note: If you don't add this CNAME, or if it's entered incorrectly, the domain will unlink from your site after 15 days. If this happens, you can start over to reconnect the domain.
You should now have two CNAMEs and four A records connecting to Squarespace.
Note: If you have existing A Records, edit any with Host Name @ so that Points To matches the values above. Delete any other A Records that don’t match what’s shown in this guide, except Mail or Email records. Deleting Mail or Email records could interfere with your email service.
Step 5 - Wait for the connection to complete
Congratulations, you've finished connecting the domain!
It can take 24 to 72 hours for the connection to start working properly. While you wait:
- You can return to your Squarespace DNS Settings, click Refresh below the records, and the Current Data column will start to show if your records are entered correctly. When the domain is correctly linked, it will appear in the Domains panel with a Connected label.
- It’s normal to see errors in the Domains panel or when visiting your domain for up to 72 hours after completing the steps in this guide. If you see any error messages after 72 hours has passed, see the next section.
Troubleshoot with the DNS record checker
If we detect that your records weren’t set up properly, your domain will appear in the Domains panel with the message Can’t verify domain ownership.
To troubleshoot, use the DNS checker tool in the Domains panel to see the exact CNAME and A Records to fix with your domain provider.
Click the domain in the Domains panel, and then click DNS Settings. For detailed instructions, visit Checking your domain mapping records.
Getting more help
For more help with settings in your Name.com account, contact their support team at (720) 249-2374. To help them understand your issue, you can use our sample message. You can also visit their documentation.