If you purchased a domain from 1&1 IONOS and want to keep it registered with them, you can connect it to your site by following this guide. After completing these steps, your domain will stay registered with 1&1 IONOS, but it will connect to your Squarespace site. You may also find 1&1 IONOS' guide helpful as you work on the connection.
Before you begin, review our requirements for connecting a third-party domain.
Step 1 - Start the connection in Squarespace
To connect your domain, start in the Domains panel:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, then click Domains. You can also press the ? key while any panel is open and search domains.
- Click Use a Domain I Own.
- Enter the full domain name you’re linking in the Domain Name field, then click Continue.
- Click Connect From Provider.
Note: If you see a message that says "This domain is already connected to another Squarespace site," check your other Squarespace sites to find where the domain is connected. Then disconnect it from that site.
- Select 1&1 from the drop-down menu, if it’s not already selected.
- Click Connect Domain.
Step 2 - Approve the connection in 1&1 IONOS
Use the following steps to approve the connection to 1&1 IONOS:
- A pop-up window will appear. Log in using your 1&1 IONOS credentials.
- Click Connect to confirm.
Note: At this point, you may see another pop-up noting that some records on this domain will be deactivated. This can happen if the domain was previously connected to another site or if it’s connected to another service that conflicts with Squarespace. In most cases, you can click Connect to continue. If you’re not sure, stop the process and contact 1&1 IONOS’ support team for help before you continue.
- If the connection is successful, you’ll see a confirmation pop-up. Click Close to return to Squarespace.
- You'll see a message in Squarespace letting you know that the connection to your domain is in progress. Click OK to continue.
Step 3 - Wait for the connection to complete
Now that you've entered the records, it can take 24 to 72 hours for the connection to start working properly. While you wait:
- You can return to your Squarespace DNS Settings, click Refresh below the records, and the Current Data column will start to show if your records are entered correctly. When the domain is correctly linked, it will appear in the Domains panel with a Connected label.
- It’s normal to see errors in the Domains panel or when visiting your domain for up to 72 hours after completing the steps in this guide.
I'm seeing a failure message from 1&1 IONOS when I try to link my domain
If you're seeing a 1&1 IONOS error message within Squarespace, try the following steps before attempting to re-link your domain:
- Ensure that you're using 1&1 IONOS' default nameservers. For help resetting them, visit 1&1 IONOS' support.
- Fully log out of your 1&1 IONOS account.
- Try manually connecting your domain.