Squarespace uses a combination of CNAME Records and A Records to connect a third-party domain to a Squarespace site. CNAME Records usually work to verify your domain ownership, but sometimes you may want to use a TXT Record instead.
If you’ve already gone through our standard process for connecting a domain, you can use this guide to set up a TXT Record and verify your domain. There are a few reasons why you might want to use a TXT Record:
- You've already added a CNAME Record, but your domain won’t verify.
- Your domain provider doesn't support CNAME Records.
- Your domain provider supports CNAME Records, but you aren’t able to modify them.
Note: Before attempting to verify with a TXT Record, ensure you’ve waited the full 72 hours for your domain changes to resolve, as some domains take this amount of time to connect to a site.
Tip: Sometimes your domain provider can add this TXT Record for you. If you need their assistance, we recommend providing them with the information you can see in the DNS Panel of your Squarespace site. For additional instructions, visit Requesting third-party domain help.
Step 1 - Open your DNS settings
Log into your domain provider's site, then find where you manage your DNS settings. Depending on your provider, this may be called Zone File Settings, DNS Manager, or something similar.
For help finding these settings, refer to our provider-specific guides, or to your provider’s own support documentation.
Step 2 - Add a TXT Record
In your Squarespace site, open your Domains panel:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, and then click Domains. You can also press the ? key while any panel is open and search domains.
- Click the domain you need to verify, then click DNS Settings.
- In the first line of your Squarespace DNS Settings, copy the unique code that appears directly below the Host column. The unique code is a random string of numbers and letters that must point to verify.squarespace.com.
- In your provider’s DNS settings, create a TXT Record with the following values:
- Alias, Host, or Host Name - @ or leave blank
- Type or Record Type - TXT or TXT Record
- Points to - Copy and paste the unique code from your Domains panel
Note: If you have an existing TXT Record, you may be able to edit it with a new Points To value. We recommend contacting your provider for assistance with this.
Step 3 - Verify
Return to your Squarespace DNS Settings and click Refresh below the records.
The Current Data column in the panel will start to update and show whether your records are entered correctly. If your TXT record resolves properly, you’ll see a green Correct label next to it in the Current Data column. It can take up to 72 hours for this information to process.
Note: If you attempted to verify with a CNAME Record first, you may still see this record displaying in red in your Squarespace settings, indicating that it’s not connecting. If your domain is properly connected and you’ve deleted this record on your domain provider’s end, you can ignore this.