If you purchased a domain from Hover and want to keep it registered with them, you can connect it to your site using DNS Connect.
In this process, you'll change a few settings in your Hover account. After completing these steps, your domain will stay registered with Hover, but it will connect to your Squarespace site. You may also find Hover's guide helpful as you work on the connection.
Before you begin, review our requirements for connecting a third-party domain.
Tip: If your domain is eligible, we recommend transferring it instead of connecting it. Learn more about the differences between transferring and connecting or get started with a transfer.
Step 1 - Start the connection in Squarespace
To connect your domain, start in the Domains panel:
- Open the Domains panel.
- Click Use a domain I own.
- Enter the full domain name you’re connecting in the Enter domain field, then click the arrow.
- Click Connect domain.
Note: If you see a message that says "This domain is already connected to another Squarespace site," check your other Squarespace sites to find where the domain is connected. After finding the site, disconnect the domain.
- Select Hover from the drop-down menu.
- Click Connect domain.
- In the message that appears, click Continue.
- A new panel will open with the records to create in your Hover account. Keep this panel open for your reference.
Step 2 - Log into Hover
Open a new browser window or tab to access your Hover account:
- Go to Hover, then sign into your account.
- Under Your Domains, click the domain you want to connect.
- In the Connect section, click the Squarespace logo.
Step 3 - Add your Verify Value
To verify your domain:
- In the first line of your Squarespace DNS Settings, copy the unique code that appears in the first row of the Host column. The unique code is a random string of numbers and letters.
Copy and paste the unique code under Host on the first line.
- In your Hover account, paste this in the Verify Value field.
- Click Connect. Hover will automatically add the other required records.
Note: If you don't add this unique code, or if it's entered incorrectly, the domain will unlink from your site after 15 days. If this happens, you can start over to reconnect the domain.
Step 4 - Wait for the connection to complete
Now that you've set up the automatic connection, it can take 24 to 72 hours for the domain to start working properly. While you wait:
- You can watch the connection's progress. Return to your Squarespace DNS Settings, click Refresh records, and the Current Data column will show green labels as your domain connects. When the domain is correctly linked, it will appear in the Domains panel with a Connected label.
- It’s normal to see errors in the Domains panel or when visiting your domain for up to 72 hours after completing the steps in this guide. If you see an error message after 72 hours, see our tips below, or visit Troubleshooting domain connections.