If you purchased a domain from Hover and want to keep it registered with them, you can connect it to your site by following this guide. In this process, you'll change a few settings in your Hover account. After completing these steps, your domain will stay registered with Hover, but it will connect to your Squarespace site. Before you begin, review our requirements for connecting a third-party domain.
Step 1 - Start the connection in Squarespace
To connect your domain, start in the Domains panel:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, and then click Domains. You can also press the ? key while any panel is open and search domains.
- Click Use a Domain I Own.
- Enter the full domain name you’re connecting in the Domain Name field, and then click Continue.
- Click Connect From Provider.
Note: If you see a message that says "This domain is already connected to another Squarespace site," check your other Squarespace sites to find where the domain is connected. Then disconnect it from that site.
- Select Hover from the drop-down menu.
- Click Connect Domain.
- In the message that appears, click Okay.
- A new panel will open with the records to create in your Hover account. Keep this panel open for your reference.
Step 2 - Log into Hover
To log into Hover:
- Go to www.hover.com and log into your account.
- Click the Your Account drop-down in the top-right corner and choose Domains.
- Click the Overview tab.
- Scroll to the Connect area and click the Squarespace logo. You can also click the Connect tab, then scroll down and click the Squarespace logo on that page.
- A new window will open.
Step 3 - Add your Verify Value
To verify your domain:
- In the first line of your Squarespace DNS Settings, copy the unique code that appears in the first row of the Host column. The unique code is a random string of numbers and letters.
- In your Hover account, paste this in the Verify Value field. Ensure that you use the code from your own Squarespace site and not the sample code used here.
- Click Connect. Hover will automatically add the other required records.
Tip: You don't need to add the other records shown in your Squarespace DNS Settings panel. Hover adds these automatically when you use Hover Connect.
Note: If you don't add this unique code, or if it's entered incorrectly, the domain will unlink from your site after 15 days. If this happens, you can start over to reconnect the domain.
Step 4 - Wait for the connection to complete
Now that you've entered the record, it can take 24 to 72 hours for the connection to start working properly. While you wait:
- You can return to your Squarespace DNS Settings, click Refresh below the records, and the Current Data column will start to show if your records are entered correctly. When the domain is correctly linked, it will appear in the Domains panel with a Connected label.
- It’s normal to see errors in the Domains panel or when visiting your domain for up to 72 hours after completing the steps in this guide.
Getting more help
For more help with settings in your Hover account, contact their support team at (866) 731-6556. To help them understand your issue, you can use our sample message. You can also visit their documentation.