If you purchased a domain from Hover and want to keep it registered with them, you can connect it to your site by following this guide. In this process, you'll change a few settings in your Hover account. After completing these steps, your domain will stay registered with Hover, but it will connect to your Squarespace site. Before you begin, review our requirements for connecting a third-party domain.
Tip: We recommend transferring your domain to Squarespace instead of connecting it. Here are some reasons why you might want to transfer your domain:
- You can move all aspects of managing it to your Squarespace account so you won't need to pay for it through a third party.
- Your domain could qualify for one free year of hosting.
- Squarespace can help with any issues with your domain directly.
Step 1 - Start the connection in Squarespace
To connect your domain, start in the Domains panel:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, and then click Domains. You can also press the ? key while any panel is open and search domains.
- Click Use a Domain I Own.
- Enter the full domain name you’re connecting in the Domain Name box, and then click Continue.
- Click Connect From Provider.
Note: If you see a message that says "This domain is already connected to another Squarespace site," check your other Squarespace sites to find where the domain is connected. Then disconnect it from that site.
- Select Hover from the drop-down menu.
- Click Connect Domain.
- In the message that appears, click Okay.
- A new panel will open with the records to create in your Hover account. Keep this panel open for your reference.
Step 2 - Log into Hover
Go to www.hover.com and log into your account. Click the Your Account drop-down in the top-right corner and choose Domains.
On the Overview tab, find the Connect area and click the Squarespace logo. You can also click the Connect tab, then scroll down and click the Squarespace logo on that page.
A new window will open.
Step 3 - Add your Verify Value
In the first line of your Squarespace DNS Settings, copy the unique code that appears in the first row of the Host column. The unique code is a random string of numbers and letters.
In your Hover account, add this to the Verify Value field and then click Connect. Hover will automatically add the other required records.
Tip: You don't need to add the other records shown in your Squarespace DNS Settings panel. Hover adds these automatically when you use Hover Connect.
Note: If you don't add this unique code, or if it's entered incorrectly, the domain will unlink from your site after 15 days. If this happens, you can start over to reconnect the domain.
Step 4 - Refresh
After changing your records, return to your Squarespace DNS Settings and click Refresh below the records.
The Current Data column in the panel will start to update and show if your records are entered correctly. It can take up to 72 hours for this information to process.
To go the previous panel, click the arrow in the top-left corner.
Step 5 - Wait and test
If all records are entered correctly, your domain will connect to your site within 24 hours. At times, it can take up to 72 hours. Visit the Domains panel at any time to check your progress.
When the domain is correctly linked, the domain will appear in the Domains panel with a Connected label.
Getting more help
For more help with settings in your Hover account, contact their support team at (866) 731-6556. To help them understand your issue, you can use our sample message. You can also visit their documentation.