To limit where you ship products or set shipping fees based on location, follow this guide to create regional shipping zones. Once your store has shipping zones, customers will see their shipping options after they enter a shipping address.
For example, you can offer in-store pickup for customers within specific postal codes. Or, if you sell perishables, you can charge more for long-distance expedited shipping.
Tip: Run a test order to ensure your shipping options are correct.
Before you begin
- Before setting up shipping zones, first create general shipping rules.
- Local and regional shipping zones are only available for states and provinces in the United States and Canada.
- Shipping zones are available for Flat rate and Depending on weight options.
About shipping zones
For each shipping rule you want to apply to a country, state, province, or city, you’ll add a new shipping option. For each shipping option, you'll choose one or more shipping zones.
For example, if you want to charge $5 to ship to the United States, and $10 to ship anywhere else in the world, you might create:
- One $5 flat rate option with the shipping zones set to United States.
- Another $10 flat rate option with the shipping zones set to Rest of the world.
Choose shipping zones
When creating a new shipping option, you'll be prompted to select shipping zones. Click the search bar under Ships to to open the country drop-down menu.
When choosing a shipping zone, there are two options:
- Ship everywhere - To ship everywhere, choose Rest of the World.
- Ship to specific countries - Search for countries, and add each country where you’ll offer this shipping method. For the United States and Canada, you can choose specific states, provinces, cities, and postal codes.
To edit existing shipping options:
- In the Home Menu, click Commerce, and then click Shipping.
- Open a shipping method, and click the Shipping zones tab.
Create regional and local shipping zones
Shipping zones by state and province (United States and Canada only)
When you add a country, the shipping option will apply to all states and provinces automatically. To limit it to specific states in the United States or Canada:
- Next to United States or Canada, click Edit.
- Uncheck the areas where the shipping option won’t be available.
- Click Save.
Tip: Uncheck All States/Provinces to deselect all.
Shipping zones by postal code (Commerce Advanced plan only)
If you're on the Commerce Advanced plan, you can create shipping zones for specific postal codes in the United States and Canada.
- In the Shipping Zones tab, click Edit beside the United States or Canada.
- Hover a state or province, and click Add ZIP codes.
- Enter the postal codes where the shipping option will apply within that state, separated by commas, and then click Done.
- When you’re finished adding all states and postal codes, click Done.
- In the shipping rule panel, click Save.