You can sell workshops using a combination of service products and events. This lets your customers browse your calendar then register and pay through your site using Squarespace’s built-in Commerce tools. You can also promote events and workshops using Acuity Scheduling or Eventbrite.
Step 1 - Add a workshop as a service product
To sell a workshop, we recommend adding it as a service product because service products don't use shipping methods or require customers to enter a shipping address at checkout.
To add a service product:
- In the Home Menu, click Pages.
- Click a Products Page, or click the + icon to add a new Products Page.
- On the Products Page, click the + icon.
- Select Service.
- Use the Name, Image, and Description fields to add information about the workshop.
- To add images, click the Upload images arrow in the image field or drag and drop images from your computer.
If you offer multiple workshops with the same name, include a date in the product name.
Step 2 - Set a price and workshop size
In the product editor, click the Pricing & Variants tab.
- Click $0.00 in the Pricing column to set a price per participant or student.
- To set a workshop size or capacity, click 1 in the Stock column. If your workshop doesn't have size limit, check Unlimited.
Step 3 - Use variants for different times or sessions (optional)
If you have multiple workshops on the same day or time, you can add these options as variants. This lets customers select their desired time, instructor, or other choice from a drop-down menu.
To add a variant:
- In the product editor, click the Pricing & Variants tab.
- Click the + button to add a new option.
- Enter the Option Name, such as Time, and then click Save Option.
- Click the + button below the SKU field to add new product variants. This copies the previous variant for you to edit.
- You can then edit the product options, price, and stock each variant.
Here’s a preview of how a workshop product with time variants could look. Your actual layout depends on your template and design options:
Step 4 - Publish the product
Click the Save & Publish button to publish the workshop. This sets the product as immediately available for purchase.
You can also schedule your workshop to become available at a later date or time.
Move your Products Page to the Not Linked section (Optional)
If you want customers to only see the Events Page, and not the Products Page, move the Products Page to your Not Linked section. This prevents your events from appearing in multiple places and creates a simpler navigation experience.
Step 5 - Create an Events Page for your workshops
Next, you’ll use an Events Page to add a calendar or list of events to your site that customers can browse.
To add an event:
- In the Home Menu, click Pages.
- Click an Events Page, or click the + icon to add a new Events Page.
- On the Events Page, click the + icon.
- In the Edit Event window, enter the event's title. We recommend using the same title as the workshop product.
- Click the date links to select the event's start time and end time.
- In the Options tab, add a thumbnail image.
In the event’s description, you can can add a Product Block so customers viewing the event can add the workshop to their shopping carts.
To add a Product Block:
- In the Edit Event window’s Description box, click the + button or an insert point to open the block menu.
- Click Product.
- In the Find A Product search bar, search for the workshop to display in the block.
- Click it in the search results to add it.
- Customize what shows in the Product Block and its Alignment.
- Click Apply.
Here's an example of how an event appears in the Calendar view:
Here’s how an will look when you click on it from the calendar:
Step 6 - Complete your workshops page
Repeat this process by creating new events and products for all the workshops you offer. This will create an Events Page with each event displaying a Product Block for its specific workshop.
You can set the Events Page to display as a list or calendar. For help customizing your workshops page, visit Styling the Events Page.
Tip: For more customization of your workshops page, you can display your events in a Calendar Block on a Layout Page. This method gives you greater control over the page design, letting you add text, images, contact forms, and other content.