Gift cards are a special product that recipients can use as payment for orders from your online store. Every purchased gift card has a unique code. When a customer purchases a gift card, they can email the code to their recipient or themselves.
When redeeming a gift card code at checkout, customers will see the card value subtracted from their order total. They can also see the balance remaining on the gift card.
To see the customer experience, visit How customers use gift cards.
Note: Ensure your store's currency is correct before creating a gift card. It's not possible to change your currency after you sell a gift card.
Help and support during the COVID-19 pandemic: To help your business during these challenging times, gift cards are now included in all plans that include Commerce. If you’re new to selling gift cards, see this important information. We’re here to help. We know how unsettling this time can be, and we’re committed to supporting you. If you have any questions, contact us.
Watch a video
Understanding gift cards
Purchasing a gift card sends an email with a unique gift card code to your customer or their recipient. Customers can print gift card codes, but they aren't available as physical, plastic cards.
To sell gift cards, first set up an online store if you haven't already:
- Connect a payment processor: either Stripe or PayPal. You’ll receive funds in your payment processor account.
- Add any tax rates, if applicable to your business.
- Add a Store Page, which is where you’ll display the gift cards.
- Follow the rest of this guide to set up your gift cards.
To learn more about your customer experience, visit How customers use gift cards.
Gift cards sold through Squarespace Commerce can't be used for Squarespace Scheduling.
Create a gift card
Note: We recently updated the product editor, so the steps in this guide might not match what you see on your site. You can switch to the new product editor at any time, or follow the steps in Using the classic product editor if you aren’t ready to switch.
- When adding a new product, select Gift Card.
- Enter a title for the gift card in the Add product name field. This name only displays on the product's page, not on the gift card email or .pdf.
- Add details about the gift card to the Add description field.
- Click Add images or drag and drop images from your computer to the image field to add an image. You can add multiple images.
- By default, the gift card will have four preset values. Click the Amount field to edit the values. These values appear in a drop-down menu so customers can select their desired amount.
- Click Add to add more gift card values. It isn’t possible for customers to enter a custom value. To delete a value, click the ... icon, then click Delete.
- Add tags and categories (optional).
- Hover over Done, then click Save & Publish to publish the gift card to your Store Page. This sets the gift card as available for purchase. You can also click Save instead of Save & Publish to hide the gift card until you're ready to list it.
Hide or delete a gift card
Redeem a gift card in person
Customers can redeem gift cards in person from the Squarespace Commerce App. Your customer will need to know their gift card code. To learn more, visit Squarespace Commerce App.
Cancel and refund a gift card
You can cancel and refund unused gift cards with these steps:
- In the Home Menu, click Commerce, and then click Orders.
- Click the gift card order to open the order summary.
- Click Cancel Gift Card.
- Click Confirm.
Partially used gift cards can't be refunded. Refunding a gift card issues a full refund. It isn't possible to partially refund a gift card.
View purchased gift cards
Review the Orders panel to see usage information about gift cards you've sold.
- In the Home Menu, click Commerce, then click Orders.
- Click View gift cards.
You can see who received the gift card, its initial value, and how much value is remaining. You can also see the last time the gift card was used, or the date of sale if it hasn't been used.
Gift card sales don't affect your revenue or other sales KPIs in Sales Analytics. Instead, revenue from purchases made with gift cards displays after the order is placed.
Export gift cards
To export a .csv file of purchased gift cards, click Export in the top-right corner of the gift cards panel. Open the file in a spreadsheet editor like Excel or Google Sheets to view the details, including full gift card numbers.