Gift cards are a special product that recipients can use as payment for orders from your online store. Every purchased gift card has a unique code. When a customer purchases a gift card, they can email the code to their recipient or themselves.
When redeeming a gift card code at checkout, customers will see the card value subtracted from their order total. They can also see the balance remaining on the gift card.
To see the customer experience, visit How customers use gift cards.
Note: Ensure your store's currency is correct before creating a gift card. It's not possible to change your currency after you create a gift card.
Help and support during the COVID-19 pandemic: To help your business during these challenging times, gift cards are now included in the Website Business, Commerce Basic, and Commerce Advanced plans. They’re also available on all legacy plans that include Commerce. If you’re new to selling gift cards, see this important information. We’re also working to add the ability to redeem gift cards in person.
Watch a video
Setting up gift cards to help your business in 2020
Gift cards are a good way for customers to support your business, even when they can’t visit your store in person. Gift cards are now temporarily available on the Website Business and Commerce Basic plans. For older sites, they’re also available on all legacy plans that include Commerce. Previously, gift cards were limited to the Commerce Advanced plan.
Before you set up gift cards for the first time, keep in mind:
- Gift cards can only be redeemed for orders placed on your website.
- We’re working to add the ability to redeem gift cards in person via the Commerce App, which may be helpful for restaurants and retailers. Until then, you may be able to manually record redemptions in another way, though this falls outside the scope of our support. We’ll update this help guide when the feature is available.
- This plan change will be in place until September 1, 2020. After this date, your customers will be able to redeem gift cards as long as your store is live.
Set up an online store first
If you haven’t already, follow these steps to set up an online store:
- Connect a payment processor: either Stripe or PayPal. You’ll receive funds in your payment processor account.
- Add any tax rates, if applicable to your business.
- Add a Store Page (7.1) or Products Page (7.1), which is where you’ll display the gift cards.
- Follow the rest of this guide to set up your gift cards.
We’re here to help. We know how unsettling this time can be, and we’re committed to supporting you. If you have any questions, contact us.
Understanding gift cards
Purchasing a gift card sends an email with a unique gift card code to your customer or their recipient. Customers can print gift card codes, but they aren't available as physical, plastic cards.
Here’s an example gift card email:
To see what your store's gift card email looks like, run a test order. It's not possible to customize the email.
Step 1 - Create a gift card
When adding a new product, select Gift Card.
Step 2 - Edit the gift card information
- Enter a title for the gift card in the Name field. The Name field is set as "Gift Card" by default. This name only displays on the product's page, not on the gift card email or .pdf.
- Add details about the gift card to the Description field. By default, the Description field contains an explanation of how gift cards work.
Tip: You can add tags and categories to gift cards like any other product.
- Click the Upload images arrow in the image field or drag and drop images from your computer to add an image. You can add multiple images.
Step 3 - Set gift card values
Gift card values will appear in a drop-down menu on the product details page so customers can select their desired amount. In the Values tab, you can:
- Click an amount in the Values column to edit it.
- Click the trash can icon to remove a value.
- Click the + icon to add a new value.
Note: It isn’t possible to let customers enter a custom value.
Step 4 - Save
Click Save & Publish to publish the gift card to your Products Page. This sets the gift card as available for purchase.
If you're adding a gift card that isn't available for purchase yet, click Save (but not Save & Publish) to hide the gift card until you're ready to list it.
Hide or delete a gift card
Cancel and refund a gift card
You can cancel and refund unused gift cards with these steps:
- In the Home Menu, click Commerce, and then click Orders.
- Click the gift card order to open the order summary.
- Click Cancel Gift Card.
- Click Confirm.
Partially used gift cards can't be refunded. Refunding a gift card issues a full refund. It isn't possible to partially refund a gift card.
View purchased gift cards
Review the Orders panel to see usage information about gift cards you've sold.
- In the Home Menu, click Commerce, then click Orders.
- Click View gift cards.
You can see who received the gift card, its initial value, and how much value is remaining. You can also see the last time the gift card was used, or the date of sale if it hasn't been used.
Export gift cards
To export a .csv file of purchased gift cards, click Export in the top-right corner of the gift cards panel. Open the file in a spreadsheet editor like Excel or Google Sheets to view the details, including full gift card numbers.