Goods & Services Tax, or GST, is a tax on goods and services for residents of Australia. The GST rate in Australia is 10%.
Australian law requires that we collect GST from qualifying Australian residents. For more information, visit the Australian Taxation Office's documentation.
If you’re an Australian business, you may apply for an exemption from GST collection by entering your Australian Business Number (also known as an ABN) and confirming that you’re registered for Australian GST.
This guide includes FAQs and instructions regarding our GST collection process.
Note: For help collecting GST using Squarespace Commerce, visit Collecting VAT or GST.
GST and Squarespace pricing
If you live in Australia and don’t certify that you're registered for GST, all payments you make to Squarespace starting July 2017 are subject to a 10% GST charge.
This will apply to any paid service we offer, including your:
- Website subscription’s next billing cycle
- G Suite subscription’s next billing cycle or charges for new users
- Domain purchases or renewals
- Squarespace Domain’s next annual billing cycle
- Getty Images purchases
Prices listed on our website don’t include GST, but you’ll see your total charge and a tax breakdown before checkout and on your invoices.
Am I exempt from GST?
GST is only applicable on sales to Australian consumers. If you're an Australian business that is registered for GST, you can apply for an exemption from GST collection by providing the following:
- Your Australian Business Number (ABN)
- A declaration that your business is registered for Australian GST
For help applying for exemption, follow the steps below.
Enter an Australian Business Number
You’ll need: Your business name, your Australian Business Number, and a declaration of your GST registration. If our system doesn't recognize your Australian Business Number after following the steps below, check if it's valid on the Australian Business Register's website.
If you’re running a site for a business and are exempt from GST collection, we recommend following these steps.
For Squarespace sites you already have:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, click Billing & Account, and then click Billing.
- Click Credit Card.
- Re-enter your credit card information for verification.
- Ensure Australia is selected from the Country drop-down menu.
- You should see the GST Status fields below your payment information.
- Enter your ABN and, if you are registered for Australian GST, select the checkbox to declare this.
- Click Save.
- Refresh the page to see your updated GST exemption status.
If you run multiple Squarespace business sites in the countries below, repeat these steps for each site individually.
For new Squarespace sites: Complete the GST fields on the checkout page when upgrading to paid service.
ABN number validation tool
To check if your Australian Business Number is valid and formatted correctly, use the Australian Business Register's validation tool.
I received an email about GST, but I don’t think it applies to me. What should I do?
It’s possible that you received this email in error. Our Australian GST collection process doesn’t apply to you if you aren't an Australian resident.
Will you collect GST for past subscription payments?
We won't back-collect GST for any payments you submitted before July 1, 2017.