Goods & Services Tax, or GST, is a tax on goods and services for residents of Australia. The GST rate in Australia is 10%.
Australian law requires that we collect GST from qualifying Australian residents. For more information, visit the Australian Taxation Office's documentation.
If you're an Australian business registered for GST with the Australian Taxation Office, you can apply for an exemption from paying GST to Squarespace. To apply, you must:
- Enter your Australian Business Number (also known as an ABN)
- Certify that you're registered for GST with the Australian Taxation Office
Tip: For help collecting GST using Squarespace Commerce, visit Collecting VAT or GST.
GST and Squarespace pricing
If you live in Australia and don’t certify that you're registered for GST, all payments you make to Squarespace are subject to a 10% GST charge.
This will apply to any paid service we offer, including your:
- Website subscription purchases or renewals
- Domain purchases, renewals, or transfers
- Email Campaigns purchases or renewals
- G Suite subscription purchases, renewals, or charges for new users
- Getty Images purchases
Prices listed on our website don’t include GST. You’ll see your total charge and a tax breakdown before checkout and on your invoices.
Am I exempt from GST?
GST is only applicable on sales to Australian consumers. If you're an Australian business registered for GST, you can apply for an exemption from GST collection.
For help applying for exemption, follow the steps below.
Enter an Australian Business Number
If you’re running a site for a business and are exempt from GST collection, we recommend following these steps. You'll need your Australian Business Number (ABN).
Note: Only follow these steps if you've registered for GST with the Australian Taxation Office. It's possible to have an ABN without registering for GST. If you enter an ABN but aren't registered, you won't be able to enter your payment information.
For Squarespace sites you already have
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, click Billing & Account, and then click Billing.
- Click Credit Card.
- Re-enter your credit card information for verification.
- Ensure Australia is selected from the Country drop-down menu.
- You should see the GST Status fields below your payment information.
- Enter your ABN.
- Select the checkbox to declare you're registered for GST in Australia.
- Click Save.
- Refresh the page to see your updated GST exemption status.
If you run multiple Squarespace business sites in Australia, repeat these steps for each site individually.
For new Squarespace sites
Complete the GST fields on the checkout page when upgrading to paid service.
Check your Australian Business Number
If our system doesn't recognize your Australian Business Number after following the steps above, use the Australian Business Register's validation tool to check if your ABN is valid and formatted correctly.
I received an email about GST, but I don’t think it applies to me. What should I do?
It’s possible you received this email in error. Our Australian GST collection process doesn’t apply to you if you aren't an Australian resident.