Resources on locating the domain provider for your domain.
Your domain provider (aka domain registrar) hosts your custom domain name, like www.yourdomain.com. You’ll need to know who your domain provider is to:
- Transfer the domain to Squarespace
- Connect the domain to Squarespace
- Set up MX records for Google Workspace (for third-party domains only)
If you’re not sure where a domain is registered or hosted, you can find its provider by looking at your account dashboard or searching for its Whois records. This guide shows you how to identify a domain’s provider using ICANN’s free tool.
Tip: When you build a site with Squarespace, Squarespace is your web host. Learn more about the difference between web hosting and domain hosting.
Find your domain provider
To identify your domain host, first check your account dashboard:
- Log into your account dashboard. Or, if you're logged into a site, go to the Home menu, scroll down, then click your profile picture or initials.
- If prompted, log into your account. If you're having trouble, visit I can't log in.
- Click the Domains tab.
- Find the domain name and look under the Provider column. The name listed is your domain provider.
If the provider is listed as Unknown, use the following steps to look up the domain's Whois records:
- Go to ICANN’s lookup.
- Enter your domain name in the search field.
- Click Lookup.
- On the results page, look for the name and URL listed in Registrar and Registrar URL sections.
- The Registrar is usually your domain provider. Use the Registrar URL to log into your domain account or contact the provider for more help. If you see a Reseller listed, this might be your domain provider instead. To make changes to your domain, try logging into your account with your reseller first.
Note: If Tucows is listed as the Registrar, Squarespace may be your provider. See the next section for more information.
Tucows and Squarespace domains
If you registered or transferred a domain to Squarespace, Squarespace is your domain provider.
We sell domains through two registrars, Squarespace Domains LLC and as a reseller of Tucows domains. To determine which of these is your domain's registrar:
- Log into the site or parking page with the domain.
- If your domain is connected to a site, open the Domains panel.
- Click the domain.
- Find the Provider at the top of the page. Here it shows either Squarespace Domains LLC or Tucows.
Tucows is in your Whois record but Squarespace isn't your provider
Tucows sells domains directly and through other resellers. If you see Tucows listed in your Whois record, visit your account dashboard to see who is listed as the provider.
After identifying your domain provider, you can: