Having subscribers verify that they want to be added to your mailing list reduces the chances that your emails will be marked as spam.
Newsletter Blocks and promotional pop-up subscriptions require verification by email and/or Google reCAPTCHA when using an Email Campaigns mailing list for storage. Use this guide to learn about the two options.
To review verification options:
- In the Home Menu, click Marketing, click Email Campaigns, then click Settings.
- Click Verification Options.
- Subscribers verify by confirmation email after subscribing on your site (this is enabled by default)
- Subscribers fill out a Google reCAPTCHA when they subscribe
Verification options aren't available for:
- Checkout newsletter subscribe option
- Addresses added manually to a mailing list
- Imported addresses
If you live in the EU, you might want to check to ensure your verification settings comply with local regulations.
Note: This guide is available as a resource, but should not be construed or relied upon in any way as legal advice. Per our Terms of Service, Squarespace doesn't provide advice or recommendations on any laws or requirements applicable to your site or business.
When confirmation emails are enabled, new subscribers receive an email asking them to confirm their subscription before they're added to an Email Campaigns list.
To disable confirmation emails, enable Google reCAPTCHA instead.
Customize the confirmation email
To customize the confirmation email:
- In the Email Campaigns panel, click Settings, then click Verification Options.
- Click Customize Email.
- Customize the email's text and add or rearrange sections. To learn more, visit Building email campaigns.
- Edit the Subject and Email Preview Text. The default subject line uses email personalization to insert your site title automatically, so ensure you edit your subject if you don't want your site title to appear.
- Style the email to fit your brand.
- Click Save.
It's not possible to:
- Add blog or product sections to this email
- Delete the Confirm subscription button
- Select a sender profile. The confirmation email automatically uses the first sender profile you created and verified
Google reCAPTCHA prompts subscribers to complete a task, like checking a box or identifying a string of letters, to prove that they’re not robots.
You can enable this by adding Google reCAPTCHA API keys in the External API keys panel, or directly in the Verification tab for Newsletter Blocks and promotional pop-ups. To learn more, visit Adding Google reCAPTCHA to forms.
After enabling, you can disable confirmation emails by checking Turn on reCAPTCHA and unchecking Send confirmation email in the Verification tab for each form. If you want subscribers to verify with both reCAPTCHA and confirmation email, leave Send confirmation email checked.