There's no setting on Squarespace's end that makes a video play automatically when a visitor opens the page. To autoplay a video, you'll need to adjust settings in your video host and use a custom embed code to add the video to a page. The exception is background videos, which play automatically.
This guide walks you through these steps and things to consider with autoplaying videos.
Note: Before you begin, visit Adding videos to your site to review our basic video guidelines. Squarespace doesn’t support direct video uploads, meaning you’ll need to upload your video to a supported host first.
Before you begin
- For the best user experience, only add one autoplaying video to a page. If your page has multiple autoplay videos, they’ll all start playing at once when a page loads (unless you're using Vimeo).
- Video banners may play on mobile devices, but other videos won't autoplay on mobile.
- Video banners and .gif images automatically play when the page loads.
Some browsers prevent autoplay
Newer versions of some browsers block autoplay by default to protect their users' experience. Visitors using those browsers might have adjusted their settings to allow autoplay, only if they chose to do so.
Before adding an autoplay video to your site, you may want to review documentation for common browsers to see if they'll block your autoplay video. For example, Safari blocks autoplay videos with sound, but visitors can customize settings to allow them.
Background videos autoplay by default
Background videos always play on a loop without sound, so they work differently than other videos. To learn more, visit Adding a background video.
Get the autoplay code for other videos
Follow the steps below to adjust the embed code from each supported service:
- YouTube - After copying and pasting the embed code from YouTube, add ?autoplay=1 to the end of the URL within the code.
- Vimeo - Before copying the embed code, click + Show options. Check Autoplay this video, then copy and paste the code.
- Animoto - In the Embedded video tab, check Autostart, then copy and paste the embed code.
When you have the embed code, copy and paste it into the correct field in the video editor. For more help, visit Adding videos to your site.
Custom thumbnails block autoplay
If you add a custom thumbnail to your video in Squarespace, autoplay won't work, since thumbnails are designed to overlay on the page before a video loads. Remove the thumbnail or uncheck Use Thumbnail to allow allow autoplay.
Autoplay in Index galleries
Index Pages support autoplay videos on Gallery Pages in these template families:
Grid Index Pages don't support videos in the thumbnail grid, but you can add autoplay videos to Gallery Pages within the Index.