If your site isn't loading, use these troubleshooting tips to resolve common issues and get your site back online.
If your site is online and running slowly, visit My site is loading slowly.
Note: The steps in this guide are for Squarespace versions 7.0 and 7.1. If you're using Squarespace 5, our legacy platform, visit My site is down. To learn which platform you're on, visit Squarespace 5 vs newer versions.
Watch a video
If your site isn't loading, it could be related to a systemwide issue we're fixing. To stay updated about issues, follow @SquarespaceHelp on Twitter or check our Status page. You can subscribe to status updates via SMS or email by clicking Subscribe to updates on that page.
While we strive for 100% uptime and availability, we sometimes experience outages. When this happens, we're quick to respond and do everything we can to restore service.
If all Squarespace services are operational, check your site for the issues below.
Check if it's a domain issue
If your site opens using your built-in domain, this suggests that there's an issue with your custom domain.
If your domain is managed by a third-party provider (like GoDaddy, 1&1, or Hover):
- Check if the DNS settings are entered correctly by using our guide.
- Contact your domain provider or visit their status page to see if they're experiencing downtime. Any known issues on their end can affect your domain's connection to Squarespace.
- Wait 72 hours if you recently connected the domain.
If you registered a domain through Squarespace:
- Check if your domain has records labeled Website Defaults in its Advanced DNS settings. If not, use the Website Defaults preset to add them.
- Verify your domain if you recently registered it or changed its contact information. If you don't verify your domain within 15 days, it will be temporarily suspended. If your domain is suspended, your site might not load at your domain.
- Your domain might have expired. Follow these steps to reactivate your domain.
Reactivate your expired site
If your site has expired, you'll see a "Website Expired" message when you visit it from any of your domains. Sites expire when we can't authorize an automatic payment or if auto-renew is disabled.
To get your site back online, reactivate it.
If the wrong site is appearing
Since you can create multiple Squarespace sites under one account, it can be easy to mix up the domains attached to each one. These issues can make it seem like your site is down, but it likely isn't the case.
- If the wrong site loads at your custom domain, the domain might be connected to a different site. To resolve the issue, move the domain to the right site.
- If you're seeing the wrong site at your built-in .squarespace.com domain, follow the steps below to find the site you want. In all likelihood, the site isn't down; you're just looking at a different one:
- Log in.
- Go to the Home Menu, scroll down, and click your profile picture or initials.
- A grid will display of all sites connected to your profile. You'll see each site's thumbnail image, title, the primary domain, and account status.
- Search or browse for the site you need. You can search by site title or domain name.
- Click a site's thumbnail to open its login page.
Tip: If you upgraded the wrong site, use this guide to cancel service and upgrade the correct site.
If your site isn't loading after following this guide, contact us. We take uptime and availability seriously, and we're here to help get your site up and running as quickly as we can.