With Abandoned Cart Recovery, you can automatically send reminders to customers who add products to their cart and leave without completing an order. The email is automatically sent 24 hours after a cart or checkout is abandoned so you can stay in touch while your store is still fresh in shoppers’ minds.
This guide explains how to customize your Abandoned Cart Email and how we identify checkouts as abandoned. After setting up the email, you can track abandonments and recovered revenue in Analytics.
Abandoned Cart Recovery is available on the Advanced plan.
How Abandoned Cart Recovery works in Squarespace
- An email is automatically sent 24 hours after a cart or checkout is abandoned.
- You can customize the email’s subject, message, header, and footer to match your brand.
- The email includes a Complete Your Order button that links to a Review Cart page.
- The email is disabled by default, so we’ll never send your customers unwanted emails without your permission. Customers can opt out from future Abandoned Cart emails.
Customers logged into their Customer Account will receive an Abandoned Cart notification if they abandon a cart with at least one product in stock. Other customers will receive an Abandoned Cart notification if all of these are true:
- They enter an email address in the first checkout field.
- They close the checkout page without completing the purchase.
- At least one product in the cart is in stock.
- If a customer closes the checkout page and then returns to complete their purchase in the same browser before the email is sent, we won’t send the email.
- The Abandoned Cart notification isn't sent for subscription products.
- No other information (like name or credit card) is required or stored. If a customer returns to their abandoned shopping cart, they’ll re-enter this information.
Step 1 - Enable the feature in Checkout settings
- In the Home Menu, click Commerce, and then click Checkout.
- Check Enable Abandoned Cart Emails.
- Click Save.
Note: The Abandoned Cart email won't send to visitors who abandoned their carts before you enabled the feature.
Step 2 - Preview and customize the email content
Preview and customize the Abandoned Cart Recovery email in the Customer notifications panel. To see how the Abandoned Cart email appears in a real email inbox, send yourself a test email by clicking Send Test.
Step 3 - Track results with Analytics
In Abandoned Cart Analytics, you can track cart abandonment trends and measure the success of your Abandoned Cart emails. This panel includes a funnel that shows the typical path customers take from abandonment to purchase.
Allow customers to opt out
Customers can unsubscribe from Abandoned Cart emails by clicking Opt out at the bottom of the email. This link and text can’t be removed or customized.
Restore the default email content
To undo the customizations to the email, scroll down in the panel and click Restore Defaults. This restores the email’s original content. Use caution, as this process can't be reversed.
Disable the email
To stop sending Abandoned Cart emails, you can disable them at any time by returning to Checkout Settings:
- In the Home Menu, click Commerce, then click Checkout.
- Uncheck Enable Abandoned Cart emails.
- Click Save.