You can use Issuu to embed .pdf files on your Squarespace site. This is a great option for displaying resumes, work samples, and other documents.
The steps in this guide include adding advanced code to a Code Block. This is a Premium feature available in Business and Commerce plans.
The ability to embed content is only available on Issuu's paid plans.
Step 1 - Upload files to Issuu
To upload files:
- Log into your Issuu account or create a new account.
- Click Add Content in the left navigation menu.
- Drag and drop a file into the box, or click Select file to upload to open a file selection menu.
After uploading a file to Issuu, it appears in the Publications List.
For more help, visit Issuu's documentation.
Step 2 - Get your Issuu code
To get the embeddable code:
- In Issuu's left navigation, click Publications.
- Click the publication you want to embed.
- Click Embed on Website.
- A page opens where you can customize your file's appearance. When you're finished customizing the file, click Save & Get Code.
- Copy the code from the pop-up message that appears.
For more help, visit Issuu's documenation.
Step 3 - Add the code to your Squarespace site
- Log into your Squarespace site.
- Open the editor for the page or post where you'd like to display your file.
- Click an insert point and select Code from the Block Menu.
- Paste the Issuu code into the Code Block.
- Click Apply.
- An Embedded Code message appears over the Code Block instead of the uploaded file. This message only appears to you and not to your visitors. Custom code doesn't render when you're logged into your site for editing. To see the embedded file, view the page while logged out or in a private browser.
- Click Save to publish your changes.
Step 4 - Preview the .pdf
To see the embedded file, view the page while logged out or in a private browser.
You can also click the Issuu file to view the .pdf in a full-screen lightbox. Learn more in Issuu's documentation.
Troubleshooting file display issues
- Issuu .pdfs won't display from within an Index Page. To fix this issue, use Issuu's iFrame option.
- Issuu .pdfs may not display properly on templates with Ajax loading.
Note: This code-based customization falls outside the scope of our support. This means we’re unable to help further with setup or troubleshooting. Additionally, since this is a code-based solution, we can’t guarantee its functionality or full compatibility with Squarespace. This includes how it functions with our responsive design, particularly its appearance on mobile devices, and if it functions on all templates. Code-based customizations can also cause display issues with future updates to our platform. While we can't help further, there are many resources that can point you in the right direction:
Do more with .pdfs
Squarespace has a few built-in options for adding .pdf files to your site: