You can use Issuu to embed .pdf files on your Squarespace site. This is a great option if you need to display your resume, work samples, and other documents.
The solution in this guide includes using a Code Block to add advanced code. This is a Premium feature available in the current Website Business plan and higher:
- Available in: All Business and Commerce plans
- Available in: Legacy Personal plan (no longer available for new subscriptions)
- Not available in: Current Personal plan
- Trial: You can use Code Blocks during a trial.
To learn more, visit Premium features.
Step 1 - Upload files to Issuu
- Log into your Issuu account or create a new account.
- Click Upload in the Navigation bar.
- Drag and drop a file into the box, or click Select a File to Get Started to open a file selection menu.
For help with uploading files to Issuu, visit their documentation.
Step 2 - Create your Issuu code
After uploading your file to Issuu, it will appear in the Publication List.
- Hover over the file you'd like to add to your site, and click Embed.
- A page will open where you can customize your file's appearance. When you're finished customizing the file, click Save & Get Code.
- Copy the code from the pop-up message that appears.
Step 3 - Add the code
- Log in to your Squarespace site.
- Open the editor for the page or post where you'd like to display your file.
- Click an Insert Point and select Code from the Block Menu. For more detailed steps, visit Adding blocks with Insert Points.
- Paste the Issuu code into the Code Block.
- Click Apply.
- You'll see an Embedded Code message appear over the Code Block instead of the uploaded file. This message only appears to you and not to your visitors. Custom code doesn't render when you're logged into your site for editing. To see the embedded file, log out of your site view the page as a visitor.
- Click Save to publish your changes.
Step 4 - Preview the .pdf
Log out of your site and view your page with the .pdf file. You can also click on the Issuu file to view the .pdf in a full-screen lightbox. Learn more about this method in their documentation.
Troubleshooting file display issues
- Issuu .pdfs won't display from within an Index Page. To fix this issue, use Issuu's iFrame option. For more on this advanced modification, visit this Answers post.
- Issuu .pdfs might not display properly on templates with Ajax loading.
Note: This third-party customization falls outside the scope of our support. This means that we’re unable to help further with setup or troubleshooting. Additionally, since this is a code-based solution, we can’t guarantee its functionality or full compatibility with Squarespace. This includes how it functions with our responsive design, particularly its appearance on mobile devices, and if it functions on all templates. Third-party customizations can also cause display issues with future updates to our platform. While we can't help further, there are many resources that can point you in the right direction:
Do more with .pdfs
Squarespace has a few built-in options for adding .pdf files to your site: